NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State women’s tennis team fell to the IUPUI Jaguars 4-3 Friday evening in its first outdoor match of the season, after pushing through four, three-set singles matches, three of which, Big Blue won.
A big focus for the Tigers throughout their two-week break was doubles, as many matches are decided by the doubles point. Sophomores Morgan Cage and Aarushi Kakkar came away with the sole doubles victory for TSU, defeating Krystal Grubb and Gabrielle Ochalik, 6-4 on court one. The Jaguars clinched the first point of the day defeating TSU on the remaining courts, 6-3.
Down one, the Tigers began to make a comeback. Kakkar and Pragati Natraj won their first sets, while Ashia Jones forced a tiebreaker after a 7-6 finish. Her opponent, Samantha Hayward took the set with a 7-3 tiebreaker score.
Mackenzie Beckham and Abhilashsa Vishwanath were the first Tigers to drop their matches on court four and three, respectively.
The remaining Tigers had to play through three sets after splitting the first two with their opponents. Kakkar bageled the second set before fighting for the first TSU singles victory at No. 1, 6-3, 0-6, 6-3. Jones took set two, 6-4, before progress was lost in the final set, losing 6-2. Freshman Claudia Sole and Natraj rounded out the night with two singles victories, 5-7, 6-4, 6-2 for Sole and 6-4, 4-6, 7-5 for Natraj.
The women’s team enters Ohio Valley Conference play March 22 at Hadley Park as it hosts Murray State.
TENNESSEE STATE WOMEN 3, IUPUI 4
- Cage, Morgan/Kakkar, Aarushi (TSU) def. Krystal Grubb/Gabrielle Ochalik (IUPUI), 6-4
- Sarah Lounsbury/Christina Stankovic (IUPUI) def. Natraj, Pragati/Sole, Claudia (TSU), 6-3
- Meghan Bernard/Samantha Hayward(IUPUI) def. Beckham, Mackenzie/Vishwanath, A (TSU), 6-3
- Kakkar, Aarushi (TSU) def. Christina Stankovic (IUPUI), 6-3, 0-6, 6-3
- Natraj, Pragati (TSU) def. Gabrielle Ochalik (IUPUI), 6-4, 4-6, 7-5
- Sarah Lounsbury (IUPUI) def. Vishwanath, A (TSU), 7-5, 6-1
- Krystal Grubb (IUPUI) def. Beckham, Mackenzie (TSU), 6-1, 6-3
- Claudia Sole (TSU) def. Meghan Bernard (IUPUI), 5-7, 6-4, 6-2
- Samantha Hayward (IUPUI) def. Ashia Jones (TSU), 7-6 (7-3), 4-6, 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1, 2, 3); Singles: (4, 3, 1. 6, 5, 2)