NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State women’s tennis team earned a 6-0 victory over Arkansas Pine Bluff on Tuesday afternoon. TSU won two of the three doubles matches before winning five singles matches for the convincing victory.
“The girls came out and played really well,” Head Coach Monroe Walker stated. “They were focused and did not change their games. Everyone played extremely well and this will give us good momentum going into our match Thursday.”
In doubles action, TSU’s Taylor Patterson and Phoenix Gandy cruised to a 6-2 victory over Taylor Shaw and Tia Thomas in No. 1 doubles action, while Ashia Jones and Phyllicia Hemphill made quick work of Jasmine Shankar and Belen Salazar Yanez by winning 6-0 in a No. 2 doubles win.
The Tigers’ strong play carried over to singles where TSU earned straight-set victories in four matches. All of the members of the women’s team won by 6-0, 6-0 scores. The Tigers dominated in every fashion and put together a complete team effort for the win. The win is the second in three matches for TSU.
Up Next: The Tigers will match up with cross-town rival Belmont on Thursday Apr. 13.
- POPIASHVILI, Ani (TSUW) def. THOMAS, Tia (APBU) 6-0, 6-0
- VISWANATH, Abhilasha (TSUW) def. SHAW, Taylor (APBU) 6-0, 6-0
- NATRAJ, Pragati (TSUW) def. TAYLOR, Amira (APBU) 6-0, 6-0
- HEMPHILL, Phyllicia (TSUW) def. ALI, Amira (APBU) 6-0, 6-0
- GANDY, Phoenix (TSUW) def. LEWIS, Jana (APBU), by default
- PATTERSON, Taylor/GANDY, Phoenix (TSUW) def. THOMAS, Tia/SHAW, Taylor (APBU) 6-2
- JONES, Ashia/HEMPHILL, Phyllicia (TSUW) def. TAYLOR, Amira/ALI, Amira (APBU) 6-0