Event 1: MSU Greenbrier Invitational
Hosted by: Morehead State
Location: Lexington, Ky.
Course: Greenbrier Country Club
Details: Par-72, Yardage – 5,961
Weather at Start of Round 1: 73, Mostly Sunny
Weather at Start of Round 2: 91, Mostly Sunny
Scoring: Stats Following Each Day at tsutigers.com
Place After Round 1: 9 of 9 (+72)
Place After Round 2: 9 of 9 (+129)
Top 5 Teams:
LEXINGTON, Ky. --- The Tennessee State women’s golf team opened the 2019-20 season by playing 36 holes on day one of the MSU Intercollegiate. The Tigers combined for a 705 through two rounds and are in ninth place.
Lipscomb holds an eight stroke lead over Austin Peay after carding a 606.
Morgan Rood was joined by Kalee Rhodes, Savannah Szozda and Haleigh Riley in scoring during both rounds for the Tigers. Trinidy Pate matched Riley in the second round, despite not registering a countable score.
Rood highlighted the day with a second round eagle on the par-5, 18th. The senior was short off the tee box with her driver and used a 4-hybrid to layup on her second shot. Rood chocked down on a pitching wedge from 96 yards out and lofted the shot hoping to stay short of the pin which was in the front of the green, leaving an uphill putt. The approach shot landed just in front of the hole before rolling in for the Eagle to cut two strokes off her score.
“I couldn’t believe it,” Rood said. “I thought it was going to be close when I hit it, but it dropped. And so did my jaw. I raised my arms in excitement. Eagles really help the score.”
Rood closed out the day with her second birdie of the round. The Lynnwood, Wash. product went for the pin off the box with a 6-iron on the par-3, 14th. Rood caught the ball fat, but came up shy of the green. The fourth-year decided to use the putter, opposed to chipping up due to water behind the green. Rood would drain the 50-foot putt to enter the clubhouse with momentum heading into tomorrow’s final round.
Kalee Rhodes (Started on Hole 14)
- First Round made five pars
- Recorded one birdie through the first 18 holes
- Found a groove in the afternoon with 11 pars
Morgan Rood (Hole 15)
- Was one of two golfers who recorded an Eagle on the day
- Lone golfer of the tournament to Eagle No. 18
- Registered eight pars through the first 18 holes
- Converted two up-and-downs in the morning session
- Made six pars in the second round
- Had one birdie to go along with the eagle in the afternoon
Savannah Szozda (Hole 16)
- Carded seven pars on Monday morning
- Had one birdie in round one
- Made five pars during the second round
- Sank two birdies in the afternoon
- Led the Tigers with three birdies through 36 holes
Haleigh Riley (Hole 17)
- Finished round one with four pars
- Matched her first round with four pars in the afternoon
Trinidy Pate (Hole 18)
- Made five pars during the morning round
- Picked up one par over the final 18 holes of the day
Day Two: The final round begins with a shotgun start at 8:30 a.m. (CT) on Tuesday.
Leaderboard (54 Golfers)
1. Emily Keeling (Lipscomb) 72-72=144, E
T34. Morgan Rood 84-80=164, +20
47. Kalee Rhodes 89-84=173, +29
49. Savannah Szozda 90-85=175, +31
53. Haleigh Riley 97-96=193, +49
54. Trinidy Pate 101-96=197, +53