|February 22, 2020||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
Tennessee State Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||MOR|
|FG Percentage||.308 (16-52)||.328 (20-61)|
|3P FG Percentage||.150 (3-20)||.350 (7-20)|
|FT Percentage||.893 (25-28)||.846 (22-26)|
ELSTON - 2
ALFORD - 2
JACKSON - 2
Final Score: Tennessee State 60 – Morehead State 69
Records: TSU (4-22, 2-14 OVC) MSU (10-18, 6-10 OVC)
Location: Morehead, Ky.
Morehead, Ky. --- In a game that featured eight ties and eight lead changes, the Tennessee State University women’s basketball team battled down to the final buzzer but could not come away with the win in a, 69-60, loss to Morehead State Saturday night in Johnson Arena.
The game was a back-and-forth battle but Morehead State closed the game with an 11-4 run in the final three minutes to capture the win.
Jazmine Young led TSU with 20 points while Jaden Wrightsell posted a double-double of 18 points and 12 rebounds to go with a game-best five steals.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Jazmine Young – 20
- Rebounds: Jaden Wrightsell – 12
- Steals: Jaden Wrightsell – 5
- Assists: Jazmine Young - 4
- TSU shot 30.8 percent (16-of-52) from the field and 15.0 percent (3-of-20) from three-point range.
- The Lady Tigers made 25-of-28 (89.3 percent) from the free-throw line.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- TSU stymied the MSU offense early and jumped out to an 8-2 lead.
- A steal and breakaway layup by Jazmine Young stretched the TSU advantage to 12-4 but MSU got going and used a spurt to cut the lead down to just one, 12-11.
- The Eagles took the lead when two free-throws capped a 9-0 run by the opponent.
- The Lady Tigers pulled even, 14-14, when Takya Bennett sank two free-throws to end TSU’s three minute long scoring drought.
- TSU had a slight 17-14 edge at the end of the first quarter but MSU tied the game in the early moments of the second period.
- The Lady Tigers managed to build a 23-17 cushion but the Eagles stayed within striking distance.
- The score was 27-19 in favor of the TSU when MSU outscored the Lady Tigers 11-4 the rest of the period.
- TSU led, 31-30, at halftime.
- Morehead State captured the momentum early in the third quarter and moved ahead, 38-34.
- The Lady Tigers answered with six straight points to reclaim the lead, 40-38, with a little less than five minutes on the clock.
- Heading into the final quarter, TSU was up 47-45.
- TSU increased its advantage to 53-48 but the Lady Tiger offense went cold.
- The Eagles took advantage of a nearly four-minute TSU scoring drought and seized a, 54-53, lead with 4:25 remaining.
- TSU called a timeout in an attempt to halt the MSU run.
- Andreana Wrister made her first three-pointer of the game to tie the score at 56-all but MSU answered with a three to create a little distance, 61-56, with 1:56 left.
- MSU knocked down another triple on its next possession to go ahead, 64-56, with 1:03 remaining.
- The Eagles made timely free-throws down the stretch to keep the Lady Tigers at bay.
- Jazmine Young scored in double-digits for the 16thtime this season.
- Jaden Wrightsell posted double-digits in scoring for the 10th time this season.
- Wrightsell notched her 6th double-double of the season.
- Tennessee State will return to action on Thursday, Feb. 27 at home against Jacksonville State. Game time is slated for 5:30 p.m. in Gentry Center.