|February 13, 2020||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
Tennessee State Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||BEL|
|FG Percentage||.333 (22-66)||.390 (23-59)|
|3P FG Percentage||.333 (6-18)||.258 (8-31)|
|FT Percentage||.889 (8-9)||.727 (16-22)|
- 19||Ellie Harmeyer
- 9||Ellie Harmeyer
- 3||Ellie Harmeyer
Maura Muensterman - 4
- 4||Jamilyn Kinney
BRONER - 1
Maddie Wright - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 58 – Belmont 70
Records: TSU (3-20, 1-12 OVC) – BU (16-8, 11-2 OVC)
Venue: Curb Event Center
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State University women’s basketball team had a strong showing early on but saw the game slip away down the stretch as the Lady Tigers fell to Belmont Thursday night in the Curb Event Center.
After going into halftime down 32-31, Tennessee State trailed Belmont 51-46 heading into the fourth quarter. The Lady Tiger offense hit a roadblock and TSU fell behind by as many as 17. Tennessee State managed to chop the deficit down to 12 but that would be as close as the team would get.
Jaden Wrightsell led TSU with 19 points and nine rebounds while Andreana Wrister and Deaja Richardson each scored 10 points.
Belmont was led by Ellie Harmeyer’s 28 points and 18 rebounds.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Jaden Wrightsell – 19
- Rebounds: Jaden Wrightsell – 9
- Assists: Andreana Wrister – 3
- Steals: Jaden Wrightsell – 4
- TSU shot 33.3 percent (22-of-66) from the field and 33.3 percent (6-of-18) from long range.
- Tennessee State made 8-of-9 (88.9 percent) from the free-throw line.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After falling behind 5-2, TSU responded with five unanswered points to take a 9-5 lead.
- Belmont closed to within one but another spurt put the Lady Tigers on top, 16-11.
- The Bruins’ offensive rebounding led to a three-pointer that made the score, 16-14, in favor of TSU at the end of ten minutes.
- BU tied the game in the opening moments of the second period and from there the teams traded buckets.
- TSU created little distance when an old fashioned three-point play by Jaden Wrightsell gave the Lady Tigers a 27-22 advantage.
- Over the next 3:50, TSU went without a bucket and BU pulled to within two, 27-25.
- Another flurry pushed the Lady Tigers ahead, 31-25 but the Bruins closed out the quarter with a 7-0 run to capture a 32-31 lead heading into the halftime break.
- Belmont opened the second half by outscoring Tennessee State, 8-3, which led to a timeout.
- A bucket in the paint by Jaden Wrightsell stopped the bleeding and TSU cut pulled to within two, 40-38, on the next play.
- The home team managed to build a 51-46 heading into the final frame.
- In the fourth period, empty possessions and missed defensive assignments led to TSU falling into a double-double digit deficit, 56-46.
- TSU’s scoring troubles continued and it wasn’t until halfway through the quarter that the Lady Tigers got on the board.
- With 4:41 remaining, TSU trailed, 60-48.
- BU hit a three on its next possession to increase its advantage to 63-48 and TSU was forced to use a timeout.
- TSU was not able to get out of the hole.
- Belmont won its 10thconsecutive game against TSU.
- Three players scored double-digits in a game for the third time this season.
- Jaden Wrightsell scored in double-digits for the eighth time this season.
- Deaja Richardson posted double-digits for the sixth time this season and the second consecutive game.
- Andreana Wrister notched double-digits for the second straight game and the second time this season.
- Wrightsell just missed her sixth double-double of the season with 19 points and nine rebounds.
- TSU returns to action at home Saturday versus Tennessee Tech. Game time is set for 5:30 p.m. in the Gentry Center.