|January 30, 2020||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
Tennessee State Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||JSU|
|FG Percentage||.345 (19-55)||.381 (24-63)|
|3P FG Percentage||.143 (2-14)||.290 (9-31)|
|FT Percentage||.571 (8-14)||.684 (13-19)|
- 14||Mckenna Lawrence
- 19||Destiney Elliott
- 3||Destiney Elliott
- 4||Taylor Hawks
Final Score: Tennessee State 48 – Jacksonville State 70
Records: TSU (2-17, 0-9 OVC) – Jacksonville State (9-11, 5-4 OVC)
Venue: Pete Mathews Coliseum
Location: Jacksonville, Ala.
NASHVILLE --- Second half struggles plagued the Tennessee State women’s basketball team in a, 70-48, loss to Jacksonville State Thursday night in Pete Mathews Coliseum.
TSU (2-17, 0-9 OVC) started the game strong and played to a tie at halftime. The second half, however, was a different story as the Lady Tigers struggled on both ends of the floor and saw the game slip away. The third quarter proved to be the difference, as TSU was outscored 26-8 in the frame. Despite the Lady Tigers nearly matching the Gamecocks point-for-point in the fourth period, TSU was outscored 44-22 in the second half.
Jazmine Young led TSU in scoring with 14 points while Jaden Wrightsell recorded her second straight double-double with 10 points and a career-high 19 rebounds.
Jacksonville State (9-11, 5-4 OVC) had three players to score in double-digits.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Jazmine Young - 14
- Rebounds: Jaden Wrightsell - 19
- Assists: Jazmine Young - 3
- Steals: Jaden Wrightsell - 4
- TSU shot 34.5 percent from the field for the game.
- The Lady Tigers only connected 8-of-14 from the free-throw line.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Two free-throws by Jazmine Young, sparked a 7-0 run that gave the Lady Tigers a 15-6 lead in the first quarter.
- JSU answered with a spurt to pull within two, 16-14, with 6:54 left in the second period.
- TSU got outscored, 17-11, in the second frame and the game was tied 26-26 at halftime.
- The Gamecocks started the third stanza with three consecutive buckets, including two three-pointers, to grab a 34-26, lead with less than two minutes ticked off the clock.
- TSU used a timeout in an attempt to slow JSU down.
- The Lady Tigers, however, continued to struggle and the Gamecocks continued to add to the lead.
- By the 6:51 mark, TSU had been outscored 14-0 and fell behind, 40-26.
- The Lady Tigers finally got on the board on a free-throw by Andreana Wrister with 5:51 on the clock.
- Jacksonville State made 6-of-8 three-pointers and outscored Tennessee State 26-8 in the third quarter.
- TSU never managed to get back on track.
- Jacksonville State was won six straight over Tennessee State.
- Jazmine Young scored in double-digits for the 12thtime this season.
- Jaden Wrightsell pulled down a career-high 19 rebounds.
- Wrightsell also notched the sixth double-double of her career.
- TSU will return to action on Saturday with a match-up at Tennessee Tech. Game time is slated for 5:30 p.m. in the Eblen Center.