|January 18, 2020||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
Tennessee State Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||EKUW||TSU|
|FG Percentage||.396 (21-53)||.383 (23-60)|
|3P FG Percentage||.313 (5-16)||.294 (5-17)|
|FT Percentage||.737 (14-19)||.500 (4-8)|
NASHVILLE --- In a game that went down to the wire, the Tennessee State University women’s basketball team dropped a tough, 61-55 , decision to Eastern Kentucky Saturday afternoon in the Gentry Center.
The game was fiercely contested throughout and was not decided until the final minute. TSU struggled to execute down the stretch and saw the game slip away in the final sixty seconds.
Deaja Richardson led TSU with 14 points and made four three pointers in the game. She was the only Lady Tiger to reach double-digits.
Tennessee State fell to 2-14 (0-6 OVC) while Eastern Kentucky improved to 8-9 (2-4 OVC).
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Deaja Richardson - 14
- Rebounds: Taylor Roberts - 7
- Assists: Keniece Purvis - 4
- Steals: Jaden Wrightsell - 5
- TSU shot 38.3 percent from the field (23-of-60) and 5-of-17 from three point range (29.4 percent).
- TSU went 4-of-8 from the free-throw line.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a competitive first quarter, Tennessee State had a slight, 18-15, lead.
- TSU called a quick timeout after EKU scored the first six points of the second period and took a 21-18 lead.
- Following the brief halt in play, responded with four unanswered points to regain a, 22-21, advantage.
- TSU’s rally continued when Deaja Richardson nailed her second three-pointer of the game to give the home team a 27-21 cushion.
- The score was, 27-23, in favor of TSU at halftime.
- Much like the start of the second, EKU posted the first six points of the quarter.
- TSU finally got on the board, with a Richardson three-pointer with a little over five minutes on the clock.
- The teams played to a 34-34 tie with 1:49 left in the third stanza.
- The fourth quarter was a back-and-forth battle that saw the teams trade buckets.
- EKU used a four-point play to create a little distance and led 51-48 with 3:21 remaining in the game.
- On the next possession, Amber Appiah-Kubi found Keniece Purvis in the paint to pull TSU to within one, 51-50.
- The visitors answered on their next trip down the floor to regain a three-point lead.
- Deaja Richardson sank her fourth triple of the game on the next play to knot the score, 53-53.
- TSU had the ball down, 55-53, with 57 seconds on the clock.
- A costly turnover led to a foul and allowed EKU to go ahead, 56-53, with 45.8 remaining.
- TSU came up empty on its next possession and fell behind, 57-53, with 35.7 seconds.
- Costly turnovers and empty possessions hampered TSU down the stretch and the Lady Tigers saw the game slip away.
- EKU leads the series, 41-25.
- The loss today, snapped TSU five-game winning streak over EKU.
- Deaja Richardson scored in double-digits for fifth time this season.
- Tennessee State returns to action at Austin Peay on Thursday, Feb. 23. Game time is set for 5:30 p.m. in the Dunn Center.