|January 09, 2020||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
Tennessee State Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||UTM|
|FG Percentage||.490 (25-51)||.508 (31-61)|
|3P FG Percentage||.375 (3-8)||.235 (4-17)|
|FT Percentage||.783 (18-23)||.667 (22-33)|
- 29||Chelsey Perry
- 6||Maddie Waldrop
Chelsey Perry - 8
- 6||Maddie Waldrop
Kyannah Grant - 4
PURVIS - 2
MCCULLAH - 2
ROBERTS - 1
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State University women’s basketball team could not sustain a fast start and ultimately fell to UT Martin, 88-71, Thursday evening in Skyhawk Arena.
Tennessee State fell to 2-11, 0-3 OVC while UT Martin improved to 7-7, 3-0 OVC.
Taylor Roberts led TSU in scoring and finished with a career-high 29 points. Jazmine Young also reached double-digits with 13 points, six assists and two steals.
TSU led by 11 points in the first quarter but saw the lead slip away in the second period. The game was tied at halftime but untimely scoring droughts led to TSU falling behind by as many as 21 points. The Lady Tigers only scored 12 points after shooting 27.3 percent (3-of-11) from the field in the third stanza. TSU (18) nearly matched UTM (19) point-for-point in the last ten minutes but it was not enough to overcome the deficit.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Taylor Roberts - 29
- Rebounds: Taylor Roberts - 6
- Assists: Jazmine Young - 6
- Steals: Jaden Wrightsell, Keniece Purvis, Breannah McCullah - 2
- TSU shot better than 50 percent from the field in each quarter except the third (27.3%) but still managed to finish the game shooting 49.0 percent from the field.
- Tennessee State went 18-of-23 from the free-throw line.
- The 71 points is the most TSU has put up against a Division I opponent this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- TSU got off to a scorching start and shot 67 percent from the field to jump out to an 8-2 lead.
- Taylor Roberts sank a triple just before the first quarter ended to put TSU on top, 26-17, after 10-minutes of action.
- In the second period, Roberts hit a couple of free-throws to give the Lady Tigers a, 30-19, advantage with 8:31 on the clock.
- The Skyhawks, answered by outscoring the Lady Tigers 22-7 to tie the game at 41-all heading into halftime.
- In the third stanza, the teams traded buckets until TSU went without a field goal for 3:31. The drought saw UTM build a seven-point lead.
- TSU’s scoring troubles continued and UTM stretched its advantage to double-digits, 56-46, with a little over three minutes left to play in the quarter.
- TSU used a timeout at the 2:11 mark after the home team extended the lead to, 62-46, behind a 15-0 run.
- Jazmine Young ended TSU’s nearly seven-minute drought without a field goal and closed the gap to 62-51.
- Heading into the final period, the score was 69-53 in favor of UT Martin. TSU was outscored 28-12 in the third.
- TSU (18) nearly matched UTM (19) point-for-point in the last ten minutes but it was not enough to overcome the deficit.
- UTM now leads the all-time series 36-29.
- Taylor Roberts recorded double-digits for the ninthtime this season.
- Jazmine Young notched double digits for the ninthgame.
- UTM has won four straight versus TSU.
- Tennessee State continues its road swing with a match-up at Southeast Missouri on Saturday in Cape Girardeau, Mo. Game time is set for 2 p.m. in the Show Me Center.