|December 30, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||COL||TSUW|
|FG Percentage||.422 (27-64)||.355 (22-62)|
|3P FG Percentage||.280 (7-25)||.357 (5-14)|
|FT Percentage||.933 (14-15)||.941 (16-17)|
Hsu - 3
Banner - 2
McCullah - 1
Bennettt - 1
Broner - 1
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State University women’s basketball battled from an 18-point deficit to make it a game down the stretch but ultimately fell to Columbia, 75-65, Monday afternoon in the Gentry Center.
After trailing by 18-points in the second period, TSU (2-8) turned up its energy and outscored Columbia 37-31 in the last two quarters.
TSU closed the gap to four points several times but that would be as close as the Lady Tigers could get.
Taylor Roberts led TSU with 22 points while Jazmine Young scored a career-high 21 points to go with eight rebounds.
Jaden Wrightsell finished the game with 12 points and six boards.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Taylor Roberts – 22
- Rebounds: Jazmine Young – 8
- Assists: Terrysha Banner, Jazmine Young - 2
- Steals: Jazmine Young – 4
- Jazmine Young tallied a career-best 21 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- TSU got off to a good start against its Ivy League opponent, scoring the first five points of the game and jumping out to a 13-9 advantage.
- Columbia answered with a spurt and tied the game at 13-all before using a 13-6 run to take a 26-19 lead heading into the second quarter.
- TSU struggled in the second period and fell behind by as many as 18 points before trailing by a score of, 44-28, at the break.
- In the third frame, a reenergized TSU squad came out on fire, slicing the deficit down to just nine points after scores from Jazmine Young and Taylor Roberts.
- After outscoring the Lions, 19-10, in the third stanza, the Lady Tigers pulled to within seven, 54-47, heading into the final 10 minutes of action.
- TSU continued to battle, in the fourth and cut the deficit down to four several times but could never get over the hump.
- Despite nearly matching Columbia point-for-point in the fourth, TSU could not pull out the victory.
- This was the first meeting between TSU and Columbia.
- Three players scored in double-digits.
- Jazmine Young scored a career-high 21 points.
- Jazmine Young was two rebounds away from her first career double-double.
- Taylor Roberts registered double-digits for the sixth time this season.
- Jaden Wrightsell scored in double-digits for the second time this season.
- Tennessee State will begin Ohio Valley Conference play on Thursday, Jan. 2 against Eastern Illinois. Game time is set for 5:30 p.m. in Gentry Center.