|December 08, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
Tennessee State Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||LIPW||TSU|
|FG Percentage||.447 (17-38)||.403 (25-62)|
|3P FG Percentage||.533 (8-15)||.214 (3-14)|
|FT Percentage||.842 (32-38)||.786 (11-14)|
WRIGHTSELL - 2
KENT - 2
SHORT - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 64 – Lipscomb 74
Records: TSU (1-6) – Lipscomb (2-7)
Venue: Gentry Center
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
NASHVILLE --- Despite inconsistencies on the offensive end, the Tennessee State University women’s basketball team battled to the end in a, 74-64, home loss to Lipscomb Sunday afternoon in the Gentry Center.
Tennessee State (1-6) fell behind by double-digits twice and fought back each time to get back into the game. Down the stretch, however, TSU could not come up with the buckets it needed to close the gap.
Jazmine Young scored a career-high 19 points to lead TSU while Jaden Wrightsell also registered a career-high of 18 points.
Lipscomb improved to 2-7 on the season and had three players score in double-digits.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Jazmine Young – 19
- Rebounds: Jaden Wrightsell – 7
- Assists: Jazmine Young, Jaden Wrightsell, Megan Kent – 2
- Steals: Jaden Wrightsell - 5
- Jaden Wrightsell also scored in double-digits with a career-high 18 points.
- Wrightsell had five steals in the contest.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams jumped out the gates and traded buckets for the first four-minutes of action.
- TSU, however, hit a brick wall and started struggling to put the ball in the hole.
- After being outscored, 9-2, over a span of 6:40, TSU trailed, 23-12, at the end of the first quarter.
- The Lady Tigers pounced on Bisons in the second period, scoring seven straight and forcing a Lipscomb timeout.
- LU answered with a 5-0 run to regain a 28-19 lead but another rally by TSU, this time a 12-3 push, tied the game at 31-all.
- The momentum shifted once again as the visitors outscored the home team 11-6 to close out the half and take a 42-37 lead into the break.
- In the third period, TSU struggled to score and was forced to call a timeout after nine unanswered points by Lipscomb stretched their advantage to 51-37.
- TSU went without a score for the next several possessions and LU moved ahead, 53-37.
- Jazmine Young finally ended TSU’s scoring drought with and old fashioned three-point play at the 4:40 mark.
- TSU got outscored, 13-8, in the third stanza and trailed, 55-45, heading into the final 10-minutes.
- Jaden Wrightsell connected on a reverse in the paint to pull TSU within seven, 57-50, with 6:47 left to play.
- Down the stretch, TSU still had difficulty scoring.
- With 1:30 remaining the score was, 65-59, in favor of Lipscomb.
- Missed opportunities by TSU led to the Bisons extending their lead back up to double-digits with one-minute remaining.
- Lipscomb did enough to keep the Lady Tigers at bay.
- Lipscomb has won two straight against TSU but the Lady Tigers still lead the series 22-5.
- TSU dropped its sixth consecutive game.
- Taylor Roberts returned to the court after missing action due to an injury.
- Tennessee State will hit the road to face an undefeated Arizona team on Thursday, Dec. 12. Game time is set for 7:30 p.m. CT in Tuscon, Arizona (McKale Arena).