|November 21, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
Tennessee State Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||ALCN||TSU|
|FG Percentage||.357 (25-70)||.320 (16-50)|
|3P FG Percentage||.125 (1-8)||.353 (6-17)|
|FT Percentage||.647 (11-17)||.760 (19-25)|
YOUNG - 2
BRONER - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 57 – Alcorn State 62
Records: TSU (1-3) – ASU (2-4)
Venue: Gentry Center
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
NASHVILLE --- In a game that went back-and-forth the entire night, the Tennessee State University women’s basketball team dropped a, 62-57, decision to Alcorn State Thursday night in the Gentry Center.
The game went down to the wire and wasn’t decided until the final minute. Alcorn State (2-4) made timely plays down the stretch to pull out the win. TSU fell to 1-3 on the season.
Taylor Roberts finished the game with a double-double of 25 points and 12 rebounds. Jazmine Young also reached double-digits with 15 points and five assists.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Taylor Roberts – 25
- Rebounds: Taylor Roberts – 12
- Assists: Jazmine Young – 5
- Steals: Taylor Roberts, Jazmine Young - 2
- TSU committed 28 turnovers in the contest.
- TSU was outscored 40-16 in the paint.
- There were 10 ties and 10 lead changes in the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Despite only shooting 18.2 percent from the field in the opening ten minutes, TSU managed to keep the game close.
- The score was 17-12 in favor of Alcorn State heading into the second period when a three-pointer from Taylor Roberts sparked a rally that pulled TSU even.
- The teams traded buckets until ASU used a spurt to build a five-point cushion late in the third.
- The Lady Tigers closed the gap to one point, 26-25, just before the break.
- The teams played to a 32-32 tie with just under five minutes left in the quarter.
- Heading into the final frame, the visitors used their defensive pressure and transition buckets to stretch the advantage to, 47-41.
- With 3:31 remaining in the game, the Lady Tigers found themselves down, 51-47.
- With 2:37 on the clock, Taylor Roberts got fouled on a layup and sank the free-throw to pull TSU within one.
- After getting a stop on the next trip down the floor, Roberts got fouled and hit one of two free-throws to knot the game at 51-all.
- On the next play, Alcorn State hit a three-pointer to go up, 54-51.
- In dramatic fashion, Deaja Richardson answered with her second triple of the game to tie the score again.
- The Lady Braves regained the lead with a slicing layup in the lane with 59.2 seconds left.
- A critical turnover by TSU gave the ball back to ASU and after being fouled the Lady Braves hit two timely free-throws to move ahead, 58-54.
- An empty possession by TSU and another trip to the free-throw line by the visitors made the score, 60-54, with time winding down.
- Jazmine Young sank a long three to cut the deficit to, 60-57, with 5.7 seconds remaining but two made free-throws by ASU kept the game out of reach.
- Alcorn State leads the all-time series, 4-0.
- Taylor Roberts led TSU in scoring for the fourth straight game.
- Tennessee State will conclude its homestand with a match-up against Vanderbilt on Monday, Nov. 25. Game time is set for 6 p.m. in the Gentry Center.