|January 07, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
TSU Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||MOR-W|
|FG Percentage||.303 (20-66)||.460 (29-63)|
|3P FG Percentage||.235 (4-17)||.250 (3-12)|
|FT Percentage||.458 (11-24)||.714 (10-14)|
CROCKETT - 7
SIMMONS-COZAR - 5
OUTLOW - 1
MCGOWAN - 2
Final Score: Tennessee State 55 – Morehead State 71
Records: TSU (3-20, 3-8 OVC) – MSU (18-6, 9-2 OVC)
Venue: Johnson Arena
Location: Morehead, Ky.
Morehead, Ky. --- The final score was not indicative of the game as the Tennessee State University women’s basketball team dropped a hard-fought, 71-55, decision to Morehead State Thursday night in Johnson Arena.
Tennessee State got off to a slow start after a scoring drought hampered the Lady Tigers through most of the first half. TSU trailed by as many as 17 before clawing back to within three with seven minutes remaining.
Morehead State, however, outscored TSU 19-6 in the final 6:51 to ensure the win.
Tia Wooten led TSU with 17 points while Cebria Outlow recorded her second consecutive double-double of 12 points and 11 rebounds. Andreana Wrister finished with 11 points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Tia Wooten – 17
- Rebounds: Cebria Outlow – 11
- Assists: Cebria Outlow - 6
- Steals: Cebria Outlow – 4
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Morehead State was up 10-9 before going on an 8-0 run to close out the quarter with an 18-9 lead.
- After MSU opened the second quarter with five unanswered points and stretched the advantage to 23-9, TSU called a timeout.
- TSU only scored one point over a span of six minutes but eventually got going on the offensive end.
- The Lady Tigers matched the Eagles point-for-point in the second period and went into halftime trailing, 31-22.
- In the third frame, an old fashioned three-point play from Tia Wooten pulled TSU to within six, 31-25.
- On the next play, Morehead State increased its advantage to nine but TSU stayed within striking distance.
- TSU closed the gap to, 42-38, when Andreana Wrister nailed her second three-pointer of the game.
- The score was 46-41 when four quick points gave the Eagles a 50-41 lead heading into the final frame.
- The Lady Tigers continued to fight and cut the deficit down to just to three when Cebria Outlow found Tia Wooten in the paint.
- Back-to-back field goals from the home team, however, gave them a 56-49 cushion with 5:23 remaining.
- Three straight empty possessions by TSU saw the Lady Tigers fall behind, 61-49, with just over four minutes remaining.
- TSU burned a timeout after falling behind, 65-51, with 2:32 on the clock.
- Despite their efforts, the Lady Tigers would not be able to overcome the deficit.
- Tia Wooten scored in double-digits for the third straight game and the 15th time this season.
- Cebria recorded a double-double for the second consecutive game.
- TSU lost its fourth straight to Morehead State in the series history.
- Andreana Wrister came off the bench to match her career-high with 11 points.
- Cebria Outlow led TSU with six assists and four steals.
- TSU will continue its road swing with a contest at Eastern Kentucky on Saturday. Game time is set for 3:30 p.m. CT. in McBrayer Arena.