JACKSONVILLE, Ala. --- Tennessee State volleyball lost to Jacksonville State in the Pete Matthews Coliseum on Saturday, Nov. 16. The Tigers fought hard in a four-setter but fell 3-1 (25-20, 19-25, 25-18, 25-18). Big Blue is now at an overall record of 12-17 with an Ohio Valley Conference record of 5-11.
Aria Holmes was a huge assest to the Tigers offense this match with 14 kills with Julia Pierson following closely behind with 13. Sofia Garcia-Guerrios doled out a career-high 43 assists. Gina Rivera-Ortiz and Garcia-Guerrios both helped the defense with 13 digs a piece. Big Blue fought hard during the four sets but Jacksonville State kept putting up points over TSU.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Aria Holmes led the Tigers offense with 14 kills and Julia Pierson followed right behind with 13 kills.
- Sofia Garcia-Guerrios recorded a career-high of 43 assists.
- On defense Gina Rivera-Ortiz and Garcia-Guerrios each recorded 13 digs.
- JSU took the lead but kills from the Tigers kept the score close.
- A kill from Aria Holmes closed the gap to four-points.
- Sofia Garcia-Guerrios with two aces brought the set closer.
- But Jacksonville State pulled ahead with three kills.
- Khalia Jordan and Holmes both notched kills and an attack error on JSU tied the set.
- The Gamecocks pulled ahead again on a four-point run.
- Holmes stopped that run with her fourth kill.
- Jacksonville State won the set with a kill from Kaylie Milton, 25-20.
- Two JSU errors gave TSU the lead first.
- The set was kept close with points going back and forth between the teams.
- The Tigers took the lead with a kill from Garcia-Guerrios and Holmes and an ace from Gina Rivera-Ortiz.
- Julia Pierson kept the lead with her fourth kill of the match.
- A JSU attack error gave Big Blue a five-point lead.
- Pierson notched two kills for set point.
- A block assist from Aniya Williams and Pierson won the set for the Tigers, 19-25.
- Tennessee State took the lead first, but three attack errors tied the set up.
- Holmes gave the lead back to the Tigers with her tenth kill.
- The set was pretty close after JSU tied it up.
- The Gamecocks took the lead with a kill from Sadie Anderson.
- A block assist for JSU awarded the set to Jacksonville State, 25-18.
- Jacksonville State went ahead early, but Holmes and Pierson recorded kills to keep the Tigers in the set.
- The Gamecocks went on a four-point run.
- Big Blue fought back into the set forcing JSU to take a timeout.
- A JSU service error gave the Tigers a chance to close the gap.
- But a TSU error and a kill from Shayla Schmidt won the set for JSU, 25-18.
- The Tigers are now at an overall record of 12-17.
- Against the Gamecocks the record is now 10-25.