|September 14, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
WILLIAMS - 1
NEW ORLEANS, La. --- Tennessee State lost to Mercer 3-1 (25-23, 25-19, 18-25, 25-17) making Big Blue's overall record 5-6.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Julia Pierson led the match with 14 kills.
- Gina Rivera-Ortiz had the match high of 28 digs.
- Teuila Lolotai led TSU in assists with 24.
- Pierson and Aniya Williams started the Tigers off strong with two kills.
- Mercer tied the set up but with her second kill Williams put TSU back on top.
- The Bears seemed to keep finding it's way back to a tie but kills from Kariely Santana-Delgado, Pierson, Williams and Teuila Lolotai kept the Tigers strong.
- An attack error on Khalia Jordan gave the Bears the lead, but Sofia Garcia-Guerrios tied it back up with her first kill.
- The Tigers pulled ahead with kills from Williams and Pierson.
- A TSU service error gave Mercer the lead.
- Brittany Major with a kill won the first set for the Bears, 25-23.
- Mercer came out swinging and scored with three kills.
- The Tigers tried to stay in the set with a second kill from Santana-Delgado, but the Bears stayed dominate.
- Kills from Roberta Todd and Annie Karle kept Mercer ahead.
- The Bear's offense drilled TSU's defense and found the holes to give Mercer an eight-point lead.
- Three kills from Big Blue's offense brought TSU back into the set.
- But a kill from Todd gave Mercer game point.
- A service error on Williams gave set two to Mercer, 25-19.
- Started off with a kill from Williams.
- But Mercer came right back with a kill from Major.
- Kills flew back and forth over the net, which kept the game tied.
- An ace for Williams gave the Tigers a lead.
- Two kills from Karle gave the Bears the lead but with a kill, Aria Holmes took the lead back for TSU.
- Mercer fought hard to tie the set up, but two kills from Pierson sqaushed those attempts.
- Pierson with two more kills and an attack error on Mercer won the set for Tennessee State, 25-18.
- After a good volley, Mercer took the lead with a kill by Jaida Howell.
- Pierson with her 13th kill of the match tied up the set for TSU.
- But, three kills in a row for the Bears gave Mercer the advantage.
- Mercer with a six-point lead kept finding ways to run the score up against the Tigers.
- TSU tried to stay in the set with a kill from Pierson but Mercer came back with a kill.
- A service error on TSU gave the match to the Bears, 25-17.
- Tenneessee State's overall record is now 5-6.
- TSU's record against Mercer is 1-4.
Tennessee State will be back on the road headed to Florence, Ala. for a match against North Alabama. TSU hosted North Alabama earlier this season for an exhibition match and won 3-0. The game will take place Sept. 17 at 7 p.m. in Flowers Hall.