|August 20, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||Final|
- 8||Digs||RIVERA ORTIZ
MADASZ - 1
SULLIVAN - 1
WILLIAMS - 1
NASHVILLE --- Big Blue swept the North Alabama Lions Tuesday evening in Gentry Center (25-28, 27-25, 25-18), kicking off its season with a bang.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Aria Holmes, who led TSU in blocks per set during conference play, put up a wall with four blocks.
- Khalia Jordan served a match high of 4 aces, followed closely by Julia Pierson with 3 aces.
- Gina Rivera Ortiz saved the Tigers defensively with nine digs.
- Kendall Bullock recorded 5 kills in her first match as a Tiger.
- In her first match in blue and white.Teulia Lolotai tied for match-high assists with 17.
HOW IT HAPPENED
SET ONE: Big Blue started out the set on a 5 point run, with an ace from Lolotai, a tip from Aniyah Williams and a kill from Pierson.The Lions fought back and tied it up after a volley between the teams. With a huge kill from Holmes the Tigers took the lead again. Pierson served an ace to keep the scoring run going, also racking in offensive points with seven kills. Tigers win the set, 25-18.
SET TWO: A back-and-forth set pushed the score beyond 25 points. With a service error by the Lions, TSU went up 2-0 with a 27-25 set victory. Jordan, Holmes and Williams all recorded 4 kills in the set.
SET THREE: Lolotai served an ace to score the first Tiger point of set three. The Lions began to find its groove with its players, giving TSU a challenge as they took the lead with a kill from Morgan Madasz. The Tigers remained in the running with kills from Holmes, Pierson, Kendall Bullock and Williams. Tennessee State took the lead with great plays and aces from a powerful offense and defense. Big Blue finished off North Alabama, 25-18.
- In TSU's first ever exhibition match, Big Blue swept North Alabama, giving the Tigers a 1-0 record in exhibition matches.
Tennessee State will travel to Auburn to compete in the War Eagle Invitational to play Auburn, Butler and New Mexico State. Big Blue will kickoff the tournament against host Auburn Aug. 30 at noon.