|September 22, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
WILSON - 1
ROBERTS - 4
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State Tigers volleyball team opened conference play with a 3-1 loss to the Eastern Kentucky Colonels (25-16, 16-25, 27-25, 25-14). The Tigers are now 0-1 in Ohio Valley Conference play.
The Tigers will continue conference play against Morehead State, who is ranked 8th in the OVC at 9-5 overall, 0-1 OVC after losing 0-3 to Belmont.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Samantha Beltran recorded her eighth double-double of the season with 33 assists and 16 digs.
- Julia Pierson, Rachel Henderson and Katora Roberts all scored double-digit kills 15, 13 and 11, respectively.
- Cherlie Adorno DeJesus posted 17 digs and four assists.
- The team had eight blocks, facilitated by Maya Evans (four assisted blocks) Rachel Henderson (three block assists), Katora Roberts (one solo and three block assists), Julia Pierson (two block assists) and Samantha Beltran and Sydney Swann (one assisted block a piece).
SET BY SET
First Set: The match began with a Colonel point, but was reciprocated with a huge block by Tigers Katora Roberts and Rachel Henderson. For the remainder of the set, the Tigers struggled allowing EKU to go on a 6-0 run. With kills by Alexis Johnson and Julia Pierson, TSU regained a little steam before making errors that would cost them the set. Colonels take set one 25-16.
Second Set: The Tigers took advantage of a starting Colonel out for set two by going on a 7-1 run from which the Colonels could not recover. The Tigers hit a .257, had three blocks and two service aces, and beat Eastern Kentucky 25-16.
Third Set: The Tigers started the set with an error, and could not recover. EKU kept the lead for the remainder of the set with the Tigers pushing to tie the score 5 times. The Tigers out dug EKU, recording 21 digs compared to their 19. The Tigers fought hard pushing the set into extra points, but EKU came out on top 27-25.
Fourth Set: The set seemed to be another back-and forth set for the Tigers, but after a run of service and attack errors, the Colonels put space in the score. The Tigers never had a chance to keep up, as Cassie Knutson and Ciera Koons continued to put balls down on TSU’s side of the court. TSU fell in set four, losing the match 3-1.
- The all-time series against EKU is now 11-53.
- In her first year as head coach, Donika Sutton is now 0-1 in conference play.
The Tigers continue conference play at home tomorrow versus the Morehead State Eagles at 2 p.m.