GAME 10: Bowling Green 7, Tennessee State 1
RECORDS: TSU (2-8), BGSU (3-3)
FIELD: Tiger Field
LOCATION: Nashville, Tenn.
WEATHER: Sunny, 43
NASHVILLE --- Katie Schneider scorched a line drive over the centerfield fence in the bottom of the second inning for Tennessee State’s lone run of the day. The sophomores round tripper evened the score at 1-1 before Bowling Green exploded for six runs to grab a 7-1 decision.
The first day of the 2020 Tiger Classic proved to be a long day for TSU. The Big Blue sat for over three hours to play the first contest of the three day event. The early morning game against Rider University would not be played due to wet field conditions, as well as the Central Connecticut-Bowling Green matchup.
In the Tigers game, the Falcons six hits and three walks to score five runs off Raven Loveless. The sophomore pitcher struck out two batters in 3.1 innings of work, but was tagged for the loss and moved to 2-2 on the season.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Katie Schneider recorded the lone hit for the Tigers.
- The knock was the first home run by Schneider this season.
- Sarah Snell earned two walks, while Reese Weber picked up another.
- Patton Akers reached in the first inning after being hit by a pitch.
- Raven Lovelss picthed 3.1 innings, before being lifted in favor of Lauren Powell.
- Powell was touched for two runs on six hits in 3.2 innings.
- The Tigers left three runners on base, all in the first inning.
BOWLING GREEN 7, TENNESSEE STATE 1
- The Tigers threatened in the first inning by loading the bases.
- Patton Akers was hit by a pitch and moved to second after Sarah Snell was walked.
- Two batters later, Reese Weber earned a free pass to put runners on every base.
- TSU tried to get on the board first as Beckey Melton hit a slow roller to second base, but the Bowling Green defender made a great play to force Akers out at home.
- The Tigers finished the first inning empty-handed and fell behind 1-0 as the Falcons pushed one across in the second before leaving three runners on base.
- Katie Schneider evened the score at 1-1 with a solo blast to centerfield in the bottom of the frame.
- The Falcons wasted no time to regain the lead with a run in the third.
- The Tigers looked to answer as Snell picked up her second base on balls of the game.
- The senior was cut down trying to steal second base, ending the threat from the Tigers.
- BGSU hurler Payton Gotshall would sit down the final last 14 Tigers in order to secure the win.
- The Falcons added three insurance runs in the fourth and two more in the seventh.
TSU will play two games on day two of the Tiger Classic. The Big Blue will face Creighton at 2:00 p.m. and Central Connecticut at 7:00 p.m.
- The Tigers wore their white jerseys with blue pants and white socks.
- Temperature at the start of the game was 43 degrees and dropped to 35 by the end of the contest.
- Katie Schneider notched her first home run of the season and fourth of her career.