GAME 1: North Alabama 8, Tennessee State 0 (5 inn)
GAME 2: Alcorn State 5, Tennessee State 2
RECORDS: TSU (0-2), UNA (1-0), Alcorn State (1-0)
FIELD: Hillary B. Anderson Softball Stadium
LOCATION: Florence, Ala.
WEATHER: Mostly Sunny, 50
FLORENCE, Ala. --- The Tennessee State softball team opened the 2020 season with a pair of losses on day one of the UNA Softball Invitational. The Tigers led 1-0 in the night cap versus Alcorn State before surrendering five runs in the top of the seventh inning, eventually falling 5-2. North Alabama needed just five innings in the season opener for both teams to drop TSU 8-0.
Redshirt senior Lauren Powell toed the rubber for the first time in 22 months after sitting out the 2019 campaign rehabbing from Tommy John surgery. Powell held the Braves in check for six innings as she allowed just three hits through the first six innings. ASU would take advantage multiple miscues by the Tiger defense in the final frame to chase Powell from the game.
The fifth-year hurler finished with eight strikeouts, while allowing one walk and six hits. Powell was touched for five runs, three earned, in 6.1 innings of work.
Patton Akers picked up two hits in the contest. Akers scored the first run of the contest and drove in another.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- Patton Akers led the offense with two hits on the day; both came against Alcorn State.
- Akers registered the lone RBI on Saturday for TSU and scored a run.
- Marisa Mauroschadt recorded her first career hit during the seventh inning of game two.
- Mauroschadt joined Akers as the only two Tigers to score on opening day.
- Lauren Powell fanned eight batters in 6.1 innings of work.
- Raven Loveless struck out two in 3.1 innings, while Abbey Woodall recorded one in 1.1.
- All three pitchers allowed one walk; Woodall was tagged with a walk after throwing one pitch after relieving Powell in the seventh inning against ASU on a 3-2 count.
- Beckey Melton and Lauren Farias each notched hits in game two.
- Sarah Snell tallied the lone hit against North Alabama with a bunt single in the third.
NORTH ALABAMA 8, TENNESSEE STATE 0 (5)
- Patton Akers earned a one out walk in the first inning, but was stranded.
- Raven Loveless surrendered a leadoff single, but left the runner at third to end the inning.
- After the Tigers went in order in the second, the Lions tallied four runs in the bottom of the frame on six hits and a walk.
- The Big Blue tried to respond in the third as Marisa Mauroschadt led off with a walk and moved to third after a Sarah Snell single.
- The freshman got cut down at home on an attempted squeeze bunt by Akers.
- Loveless ended a scoring threat in the third, but was touched for four runs off three hits and a hit batter.
- Abbey Woodall entered in the bottom of the fourth to face the final three batters; giving up one hit.
- Analeigh Coursey led off the fifth with a walk, but was doubled up on a Mauroschadt ground ball.
ALCORN STATE 5, TENNESSEE STATE 2
- Lauren Powell pitched a flawless first inning, striking out the final batter.
- The strike out started a string of three in a row, with the third reaching base on a wild pitch.
- Alcorn State loaded the bases by adding a hit and a walk, but was not able to push a run across.
- TSU tried to strike first as Savanah Wallace was hit by a pitch with one out in the second.
- The senior moved to second on a single off the bat of Beckey Melton, with neither runner able to advance.
- The Tigers threatened again in the third as Lauren Farias singled and moved into scoring position on a walk to Snell.
- Akers followed by ripping a line drive down the first base line that was caught, allowing the Braves to double off Snell.
- Powell was dominant the third through the fifth, facing just nine batters.
- The fifth-year would get some help to close out the fifth as Wallace gunned down a base runner attempting to stretch a single into a double.
- In the sixth, ASU put the first two batters on base before Powell would strike out the side.
- TSU used the momentum in the bottom of the frame as Akers singled and moved to second on a ground ball out by Reese Weber.
- Akers crossed home plate a batter later as the ASU defense could not handle a sharp grounder to short, giving TSU a 1-0 advantage.
- The Tigers were not able to close out the game as Alcorn notched five runs, three earned off Powell.
- Woodall would spell Powell in the seventh, facing the final three batters.
- Mauroschadt led off the seventh with a single and scored three batters later off a single by Akers to produce the final score of 5-2.
The Tigers will close out play at the UNA Softball Invitational with a pair of games on Sunday. The Big Blue will face Alcorn State at 11:00 a.m. and North Alabama at 3:00 p.m.
- The Tigers wore their Blue jerseys with white pants and blue socks.
- Lauren Powell moved into fourth on the TSU all-time career strikeout leader board with 218.
- Powell recorded eight punch outs as she passed Olivia Gamache (2011-14) who finished with 214.
- Powell last pitched in a regular season contest on May 4, 2018.
- Raven Loveless recorded three assists on the day.
- Loveless led all pitchers, who did not play another position, in assists a season ago.
- Sarah Snell earned a walk against ASU.
- Snell improved her TSU career record total to 75.