|February 08, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: HICKS (1-0)||3.0||2||0||0||1||4|
|Loss: SCHNEIDER (0-1)||6.0||8||5||5||2||1|
|February 08, 2019||1||2||3||4||5||6||7||R||H||E|
|Win: Ashlee Swindle (1-0)||5.0||6||3||3||1||5|
|Loss: HUPPEE (0-1)||3.2||6||4||4||1||0|
|Kendall Veach (AU)||4||3||4||5||0||2|
GAME 1: Louisiana Tech 5, Tennessee State 4
GAME 2: #17 Auburn 11, Tennessee State 4
RECORDS: TSU (0-2), Louisiana Tech (2-0), Auburn (2-0)
FIELD: Gulf Shores Sportsplex
LOCATION: Gulf Shores, Ala.
WEATHER: Cloudy and Windy, 56
GULF SHORES, Ala. --- The Tennessee State softball team came up short in both games on the first day of the 2019 season. The Tigers dropped a heartbreaking 5-4 decision to Louisiana Tech and an 11-4 contest to No. 17 Auburn on the opening day of the Sand Dollar Classic.
TSU exploded for five extra base hits on the day, including three home runs. Sarah Snell led off the opener with her first career home run. The shot over the centerfield fence put the Tigers ahead of Louisiana Tech 1-0. The Lady Techsters answered with a run in the bottom of the first inning and another in the second off starting pitcher Katie Schneider.
The Tigers took advantage of an error and a walk to take a 3-2 lead. Katie Schneider delivered a two-run single down the third base line to plate Maddison Clark and Snell. Bri Vire increased the Tiger advantage to 4-2 with an RBI single to close out the third.
The Lady Techsters crept back into the game with a run in the fourth and took the lead for good with two runs in the fifth.
Schneider suffered the loss to fall to 0-1, surrendering eight hits and two walks.
The 17th ranked Tigers took an early lead on the Big Blue with a run in the first. Patton Akers hammered her first collegiate home run in the bottom of the first frame to even the score at 1-1. The score remained tied until Auburn put up three runs in the fourth.
Junior transfer Beckey Melton drove a ball over the fence in left center for her first dinger in a TSU uniform to cut the Auburn lead in half. The Tigers added another run in the fourth on an RBI single by junior college transfer Savanah Wallace.
Auburn pulled away with seven runs, two earned, over the final three innings. The loss dropped the Big Blue to 0-2, as Megan Huppee was tagged with the loss, tossing 3.2 innings.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- The Tigers totaled 13 hits on the day
- Tennessee State combined for seven walks through two games
- Sarah Snell led off the season with a home run to centerfield
- Patton Akers and Beckey Melton each hit solo home runs versus #17 Auburn
- Melton led the Tigers with three hits and two walks on the day
- Akers, Katie Schneider, Bri Vire and Savanah Wallace each collected two hits on the day
- Snell reached base three times, adding two walks after her dinger
- Schneider and Vire registered doubles on the day
VS. LOUISIANA TECH
- Sarah Snell led off the game with a blast to give TSU an early 1-0 lead
- Louisiana Tech would get the run back in the bottom of the frame without the use of a hit
- The Lady Techsters took advantage of two walks and two hit batters to even the score at 1-1
- Trailing 2-1 in the top of the third, TSU produced three runs to regain the lead
- Patton Akers executed a sacrifice bunt to move Maddison Clark to third and Snell to second
- Clark reached on La Techs only error of the game, while Snell was issued a walk
- The two base runners came home a batter later as Katie Schneider ripped a single down the third base line
- La Tech would move back to within one run in the fourth and took the lead with two runs in the fifth
- The Tigers would not get any closer as their final eight batters were retired in order
- Schneider tossed all six innings, surrendering eight hits, two walks and three hit batsmen
- The sophomore fanned one batter and recorded six assists
VS. #17 AUBURN
- The No. 17 Tigers took the lead with one run in the first inning against hurler Megan Huppee
- Akers evened the score with a solo home run in the bottom of the first
- The score remained 1-1 until Auburn plated three runners
- TSU bounced back in the bottom of the frame as Beckey Melton led off with a bomb to left center
- After Bri Vire doubled down the third base line and advanced to third on a wild pitch, Savanah Wallace singled to left field, allowing Vire to cross home plate
- Auburn would touch relief pitcher Raven Loveless for seven runs over the final three innings to open an 11-3 advantage
- In the final inning, the Tigers loaded the bases as Schneider was hit by a pitch, Melton walked and Reese Weber singled
- Schneider scored a batter later as Vire reached on a fielder’s choice in which Weber was forced out at second
- Huppee was tagged with the loss after giving up four runs on six hits and a walk
- Loveless tossed 3.1 innings, allowing seven runs, two earned, on eight hits and a walk
- The freshman earned her first career strikeout and finished the game with two
The Tigers continue play at the Sand Dollar Classic on Saturday with an 11:00 a.m. contest versus South Alabama, followed with a 2:00 p.m. game against Western Kentucky.
- The Tigers wore the white “State” tops with white pants and blue socks with red and white horizontal stripes
- The Big Blue served as visitors versus Louisiana Tech and home against #17 Auburn
- Sarah Snell and Patton Akers hit their first collegiate home runs
- Beckey Melton hit her first in a TSU uniform; the junior transfer hit two bombs during her two-year career at Memphis
- Junior College transfer Savanah Wallace recorded her first hit in a Tiger uniform against Louisiana Tech and followed up with a single against #17 Auburn