GAME 27: Rhode Island 6, Tennessee State 2
RECORDS: TSU (3-24), URU (3-18)
FIELD: Tiger Field
LOCATION: Nashville, Tenn.
WEATHER: Cloudy, 49
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State softball team lost the final game of the Belmont/TSU Invitational on Sunday at Tiger Field. TSU fell behind early and was not able to catch up as Rhode Island claimed a 6-2 decision. Tori Hart went the distance and gave up six runs, four earned, as she fell to 0-3 and the Tigers dropped to 3-24 on the season.
The Tigers could not take advantage of a two-out bases loaded opportunity in the fourth, but bounced back with two runs in the fifth to cut the URI lead in half, 4-2. The Rams would add a pair of insurance runs in the seventh to secure the win.
Sarah Snell led the way at the plate for TSU going 2-for-4 and scoring one of the team’s two runs. Erica O’Kane picked up her third double in as many games and increased her team leading total to six.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU collected six hits and two walks as they left eight runners on base.
- Sarah Snell tallied two hits in a game for the fifth time this season.
- Katie Schneider, Erica O'Kane, Whitney Ennis and Ariel Johnson registered hits on Sunday.
- Johnson notched her second double of the season, while O'Kane hit her team leading sixth.
- Tori Hart tossed a complete game as she surrendered six hits and four hits as URI totaled four earned runs.
- Hart struck out two batters and fell to 0-3 on the year.
vs. RHODE ISLAND
- The Rams scored in the first and added two runs in the third and another in the fifth.
- The Tigers threatened in the fourth as they loaded the bases with two outs.
- Katie Schneider and Whitney Ennis delivered singles after Reese Weber reached on an error by URI.
- TSU could not score in the fourth, but responded with two runs in the fifth.
- Ariel Johnson doubled down the left field line with one out and moved to third on a single up the middle by Sarah Snell.
- Johnson scored on an errant throw as Snell stole second base and moved up 60 feet as a result of the error.
- Snell scored two pitches later on a squeeze bunt by Tassy Lyles.
- The Tigers would receive a lead off double in the sixth by Erica O'Kane, but they would net get any closer to URI.
The Tigers will begin Ohio Valley Conference play by hosting a pair of double headers on Saturday and Sunday. SIUE comes to town on Mar. 24, while Eastern Illinois come to Tiger Field on Mar. 25. First pitch is set for 1:00 p.m. on both days.
- The Tigers wore their all grey uniforms with solid blue socks
- Erica O'Kane has hit a double in each of the last three games