INDIANAPOLIS --- Tennessee State University Associate Athletics Director / Senior Woman Administrator Valencia Jordan has been appointed to the NCAA Committee on Women’s Athletics. Jordan will continue her work at TSU in addition to her new role with the NCAA.
The NCAA Committee on Women’s Athletics is made up of 18 members working toward the stated goals:
- To increase opportunities for female student-athletes, coaches, administration and officiating personnel.
- To assist the Association in achieving gender equity and complying with Title IX.
- To increase participation opportunities for female student-athletes.
- To increase professional advancement opportunities for women.
- To monitor progress of the initiatives included in the 1993 Gender Equity Task Force report, 1998-99 NCAA Gender-Equity and Diversity Audit Report and NCAA Summit on Athletics Opportunities for Minority Women.
- To increase marketing, licensing, and promotions/public relations and opportunities for women.
"I am honored to have been selected to serve on the NCAA Committee on Women’s Athletics," Jordan said. "As a former student-athlete, coach and current administrator, I fully understand how essential this body of work will be to the future of Women’s Athletics. I anticipate the opportunity to serve on this committee will enable me to utilize my experience to further my commitment to Women’s Athletics."
Jordan has served in her current role as TSU’s SWA since the summer of 2003. She also has other administrative duties within the TSU athletics department including her role as the head of the Student Athlete Advisory Committee. The Nashville native played collegiate basketball at Fisk and Austin Peay before going on to earn her master’s degree from TSU.
Prior to her shift to working with TSU’s athletic administration, Jordan was involved with the Lady Tiger basketball program for 14 seasons, including the last three as head coach. She moved into the position as full-time head coach in 1999-2000 after serving 11 years as an assistant coach to Teresa Lawrence Phillips, who now serves the university as its director of athletics. She was also TSU’s head volleyball coach for three seasons – 1990-92.