BIRMINGHAM, Ala. --- R'Lazon Brumfield earned two individual gold medals and one in the 4x400m relay to take home the Athlete of the Championship and Field Athlete of the Year awards for the Tennessee State men’s track and field team on the final day of the Ohio Valley Conference Indoor Championship at Birmingham CrossPlex on Thursday.
TSU, which placed fourth with 86 points, won four individual gold medals to go with one in the relay.
- R'Lazon Brumfield is the first Flying Tiger to win back-to-back Athlete of the Championship for the indoor championship and the third to win it overall. James Faison won the award in 2018 and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie won the award in 2007.
- Brumfield captured the gold medals in the long jump (7.31), triple jump (15.98m) and 4x4 relay (3:14.53).
- In the 4x400m relay, Brumfield teamed with Ashley Baily, Jamario Scott and Michael Thompson for a winning time of 3:14.53, beating the 2018 4x4 relay's gold-medal performance of 3:21.78.
- Michael Thompson won another medal, taking the silver in the 400m dash after clocking in at 48.13.
- Senior Jamario Scott won the silver medal in the 200m dash in 21.81.
- The Flying Tigers had two fourth-place finishes on day two, Roderick Johnson in the triple jump (14.15m) and R'Lazon Brumfield in the 200m dash in 21.83.
R'Lazon Brumfield - 15.98m (52-05.25) - 1st place - GOLD
Roderick Johnson Jr. - 14.15m (46.05.25) - 4th place
Michael Willingham Jr. - 14.72m (48-03.50) - 5th place
60m HURDLES - Finals
Christian Williams - 8.50 - 5th place
Mon'Trell Milsap - 9.13 - 8th place
400m DASH - Finals
Michael Thompson - 48.13 - 2nd place - SILVER
60m DASH - Finals
Aristotle Huffman - 7.02 - 5th place
Xavier McKnight - 7.03 - 6th place
Kiyontae Warren - 7.04 - 7th place
R'Lazon Brumfield - 7.09 - 8th place
200m DASH -Finals
Jamario Scott - 21.81 - 2nd place - SILVER
R'Lazon Brumfield - 21.83 - 4th place
Kiyontae Warren - 22.17 - 8th place
Ashley Bailey, Jamario Scott, R'Lazon Brumfield, Michael Thompson - 3:14.53 - 1st place - GOLD