Event 5: Grover Page Classic
Hosted by: UT Martin
Location: Jackson, Tenn.
Course: Jackson Country Club
Details: Par-72, Yardage – 6,776
Weather at Start of Round 1: 49, Mostly Sunny and Windy
Weather at Start of Round 2: 62, Partly Sunny and Windy
Place After Round 1: 8th of 9 (+32)
Place After Round 2: 8th of 9 (+56)
Top 5 Teams:
|4.||Indian Hills CC||300-301=601||+25|
JACKSON, Tenn. --- The Tennessee State men’s golf team battled through strong winds on day one of the Grover Page Classic. The Tigers are in eighth place after carding a 56-over, 632, on Monday. The host, UT Martin, holds the lead after 36-holes with a 10-over, 586.
Landon Albert, Tyler Woods, Lane Hooper and Kamren James posted countable scores in both rounds for TSU. Albert (77-78=155) is leading the way for the Big Blue at 11-over and is tied for 28th in the field of 58.
Woods (78-79=157) and Hooper (82-75=157) are tied for 33rd at 13-over, two strokes behind Albert. Hooper posted the low round of the day for TSU with a 3-over 75 in round two.
Woods highlighted the day with a birdie on the par-5, 17th late Monday afternoon. The senior hit his driver down the fairway leaving a reachable distance to the flag. Woods, who was struggling with long iron shots with the wind directions, laid up and set up a wedge shot to two feet of the pin.
Allen Stokes opened the day with a birdie on his first hole, the par-5, 5th. The shot of the day for Stokes (90-91=181) came in the first round on the par-4, 1st. The freshman lost his drive right and into the trees, leaving an 156 yard uphill lie through several trees. With the ball on pine straw, Allen punched a 6-iron underneath the trees and put it 10 feet from the pin.
John Stokes, playing as an individual, posted the third best round by a Tiger golfer in the morning with an 8-over, 80. The older Stokes brother carded an 86 in the second round.
Day Two: The final round will take place on Tuesday with a Shotgun Start at 8:45 a.m. CT. The forecast calls for a high of 63.
Landon Albert (77-78=155)
- Shot the Par-3’s at Even during the first round, second best in the field
- Dropped to third best after the second round at 1-over
- Sank the second most birdies of the first round with four
- Added three in the afternoon and is fifth with seven
- Led the Tigers with 19 pars on the day
- Hit 7-of-14 greens in round one and 6-of-14 in round two
- Found 12-of-18 greens in regulation in the morning, 14-of-18 in the afternoon
- Totaled 68 putts on the day, 34 in each round
Kamren James (83-80=163)
- Carded two birdies during the second round
- Made six pars during the afternoon round
Tyler Woods (78-79=157)
- Posted the second best score during the first round on the Par-5’s at 3-under
- Sits with the third best mark at 4-under after day one
- Dropped three birdies in the morning session
- Hit 10 fairways on the day, five in each round
- Found 16 greens, seven in the morning and nine in the afternoon
- Used 32 putts in each round
Lane Hooper (82-75=157)
- Made three birdies in the first round
- Hit 10 fairways in the first round and eight in the second
- Found 11 greens through the first 18 holes, found 10 greens during the second 18
Allen Stokes (90-91=181)
- In the first round, hit three fairways and four greens
- In the second round, hit 10 fairways and seven greens
John Stokes (80-86=166)
- Played the Par-5’s at 2-under during the first round
- Made 68 putts on the day
- Hit 10 fairways and 20 greens on day one
Leaderboard (58 Golfers)
1. George Kneiser (Green Bay) 68-68=136, -8
T28. Landon Albert 77-78=155, +11
T33. Tyler Woods 78-79=157, +13
T33. Lane Hooper 82-75=157, +13
T44. Kamren James 83-80=163, +19
T49. John Stokes 80-86=166, +22
T56. Allen Stokes 90-91=181, +37