|March 05, 2020||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||TSUM||EKU|
|FG Percentage||.375 (18-48)||.304 (17-56)|
|3P FG Percentage||.167 (3-18)||.304 (7-23)|
|FT Percentage||.643 (9-14)||.708 (17-24)|
LITTLEJOHN - 2
CRUICKSHANK - 2
HOBBS - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 48, Eastern Kentucky 58
Records: TSU (18-15, 9-9), EKU (16-16, 12-6)
Location: Evansville, Ind.
Venue: Ford Center
EVANSVILLE, Ind. – The Tennessee State men’s basketball team was eliminated from the Ohio Valley Conference tournament Thursday night after falling to the Eastern Kentucky Colonels, 58-48.
A two-point halftime lead was erased early in the second period as EKU’s offense lit up the floor. The Colonel’s made 18 shots within the first 12 minutes, compared to just nine attempted for TSU.
In the Tigers’ season finale, Carlos Marshall Jr. led the Tigers with double-digits, the sole in blue and white to do so, while Shakem Johnson grabbed 10 rebounds on the evening. Ravel Moody, junior-college transfer, who had a standout night in round one of the tournament over Morehead State, led the Tigers defensively, registering three steals and two blocks.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Carlos Marshall Jr. - 11
- Rebounds: Shakem Johnson - 10
- Assists: Michael Littlejohn/Wesley Harris - 2
- Steals: Ravel Moody - 3
- Blocks: Ravel Moody - 2
- Eastern Kentucky scored 20 points off of Tennessee State’s 26 turnovers.
- Despite leading the game in field goal percentage, three-point field goal percentage and free throw percentage, the Tennessee State Tigers fell to EKU.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wesley Harris took to the wing for Tennessee State’s first bucket of the night. Big Blue combined for five of its first seven shots, compared to the Colonels’ 3-of-5.
- Defensive rebounding helped the Tigers to a 24-20 lead and Eastern Kentucky five minutes with no field goals.
- Emmanuel Egbuta registered seven points, seven rebounds off the bench in just 10 minute of action.
- On the fast break, Ravel Moody slammed one in with three seconds on the clock. Seemingly over, EKU inbounded the ball and chucked it from past half-court for an insane buzzer beater. TSU led at the half, 28-26.
- Harris kicked off the half again for the Tigers, this period with a slam.
- Eastern Kentucky went on a 10-0 run to take its first lead since 7:15 in the first period, 36-32.
- With 8:30 on the clock, EKU made twice as many shots, 18, as the Tigers had attempted, 9.
- Big Blue attempted a comeback with an 8-0 run, but the Colonels outlasted TSU’s efforts, went 10-3 in the final three minutes in regulation.
- This marks the 3rd meeting in the OVC Tournament between the TSU and EKU.
- TSU is 0-4 when taking on Eastern Kentucky in the tourney.
- The last time the teams met at the tournament, EKU defeated the Tigers, 74- 68 in the first round in 2005.
- TSU is 1-2 when making it to the quarterfinals.
- Wesley Harris and Lachlan Anderson received technical fouls with 14:56 left in the first period.
- Both teams entered double bonus with 5:12 on the clock.
This marks the end of Tennessee State’s run in the Ohio Valley Conference tournament.