|February 29, 2020||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||BELM||TSUM|
|FG Percentage||.528 (28-53)||.500 (27-54)|
|3P FG Percentage||.318 (7-22)||.368 (7-19)|
|FT Percentage||.750 (9-12)||.571 (4-7)|
MOODY - 1
EGBUTA - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 65, Belmont 72
Records: TSU (17-14, 9-9), BU (24-7, 15-3)
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
Venue: Gentry Center
NASHVILLE --- A second half comeback wasn’t enough for the Tigers to defeat Belmont on Senior Night in the Gentry Center. The Bruins extended its four-game winning streak over the Tennessee State men’s basketball team 72-65.
On his senior night Michael Littlejohn led Big Blue with 18 points, three assists in the hardest fought game of the season. Wesley Harris, another Tiger who played his final game in the Gentry Center closed the night with 16 points, seven rebounds.
The Tigers fell behind early helping the Bruins to a 15-point lead. After the break, down 40-30, Big Blue outscored the Bruins 35-32, shooting 65 percent from the floor, 55.6 percent from beyond the arc. The effort wasn’t enough to defeat Belmont to close out the regular season.
With the 17-14, 9-9 record, Tennessee State is the number five seed moving into the Ohio Valley Conference tournament.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Michael Littlejohn - 18
- Rebounds: Shakem Johnson - 9
- Assists: Mark Freeman - 4
- Steals: Carlos Marshall - 2
- The Tigers held the Bruins to 42 percent shooting from the floor, 23 percent from beyond the arc.
- Big Blue led with 30 boards versus BU’s 25.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Struggle under the net, defensive rebound, missed three, offensive rebound, Murphy.
- Three minutes in drive Mikey Littlejohn, dish to Kem under the goal, layup.
- First shot in over four minutes from Littlejohn.
- Tyler Scanlon 10 points alone before second media. BU leads 16-5.
- Three-point play by Carlos Marshall closed out a seven-point run by the Tigers, decreasing the deficit, 23-16.
- Wesley Harris 40-30 with three-point play. Into the half.
- Shakem Johnson first layup of the half. Freeman jumper. Three Mikey. 7-0 run.
- Two minutes in Belmont’s first shot.
- High energy.
- Four-minute scoring drought Belmont. TSU 58-64.
- This marks the 35th meeting between the Tigers and Bruins.
- Belmont is on a five-game winning streak after going 4-0 over TSU last season and defeating TSU in the Curb Event Center earlier this season.
- When taking on BU at home, TSU is 7-11.
Tennessee State men’s basketball heads to Evansville, Indiana, for the Ohio Valley Conference tournament, Wednesday, March 4 to take on Morehead State in the Ford Center with tip set for 6 p.m.