|February 22, 2020||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||TSUM||MOR|
|FG Percentage||.467 (28-60)||.500 (24-48)|
|3P FG Percentage||.333 (6-18)||.333 (6-18)|
|FT Percentage||.333 (1-3)||.571 (12-21)|
MARSHALL - 1
HARRIS - 1
JOHNSON - 1
EGBUTA - 1
BAKER - 1
COOPER - 1
HARRIS - 1
EGBUTA - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 63, Morehead State 66
Records: TSU (16-13, 8-8), MSU (13-16, 7-9)
Location: Morehead, Ky.
Venue: Johnson Arena
MOREHEAD, Ky. --- A 20-point, eight-rebound effort by Wesley Harris and two other double-digit performances by the Tigers wasn’t enough for the Tennessee State men’s basketball team to pull out a road win in Morehead, Kentucky, the home of the Morehead State Eagles. MSU earned its 11th home win, 66-63.
The Tigers entered halftime up two, 39-37 thanks to 58 percent shooting from the field, 60 from beyond the arc, and minimizing turnovers to just five. However, the Eagles outscored Tennessee State 29-24 in the second period clinching a senior night win.
TSU remains in the fifth spot heading into the final week of regular-season action.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Wesley Harris - 20
- Rebounds: Wesley Harris - 8
- Assists: Mark Freeman - 6
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Morehead State took possession off the jump ball and tried for a three. A defensive rebound brought up the court ended with a Shakem Johnson slam.
- The Eagles answered with its own dunk, three-pointer and free throw marking a 6-0 run.
- Short scoring droughts by each club made for eight lead changes in just 12 minutes of action.
- At the half, Big Blue led the Eagles, 39-37.
- Emmanuel Egbuta took to the line for the first point of the second period, after a half with no free throws for TSU. The point kicked off a 6-0 run helped by five stops.
- Wesley Harris dropped a bomb increasing TSU’s lead to 51-48.
- A six-minute scoring lull allowed MSU to gain the lead and extend it to seven. Michael Littlejohn hit a three with one minute on the clock ending the lull and reenergizing the Tigers for a comeback.
- A missed shot from the Eagle’s charity stripe with 11 seconds on the clock gave the Tigers a chance to get the ball to Emmanuel Egbuta for TSU’s 30th point in the paint.
- MSU’s three served as the last made shot of the night.
- Brian Penny Collins is 2-2 against MSU, 1-1 in the Johnson Arena.
- This marks the 77th meeting between Tennessee State and Morehead State. Big Blue is 37-40 in the all-time series against MSU.
- Tennessee State is 13-28 when taking on MSU in Morehead.
- The last time TSU played in MSU, the Tigers defeated the Eagles in double overtime by one, 81-80.
- The night served as Morehead State’s senior night.
The Tigers close out the regular season at home with its first matchup back in the Gentry Center against Jacksonville State Thursday evening. Tip on ESPN+ is set for 7:30 p.m. CT.