|February 01, 2020||1st||2nd||1OT||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||TSUM||TNTECH|
|FG Percentage||.455 (25-55)||.315 (23-73)|
|3P FG Percentage||.385 (5-13)||.243 (9-37)|
|FT Percentage||.708 (17-24)||.706 (12-17)|
MARSHALL - 15
- 10||Amadou Sylla
HARRIS - 3
MARSHALL - 3
- 4||Jr. Clay
EGBUTA - 2
Tujautae Williams - 2
Final Score: Tennessee State 72, Tennessee Tech 67
Records: TSU (14-9, 6-4), TTU (5-18, 2-8)
Location: Cookeville, Tenn.
Venue: Eblen Center
COOKEVILLE --- Picture this. 1.7 seconds left in regulation. The Tennessee State men’s basketball team down 61-58 after Tennessee Tech’s leading scorer sank three free-throws. The referee hands Carlos Marshall, Jr. the ball under TTU’s goal. He chucks it clear up the floor. Wesley Harris catches it at the top of the key and dishes it to Jy’lan Washington on the wing. Washington pulls up… and sinks it.
Moving into overtime, TTU knocked in the first two points at the charity stripe before the Tigers outscored the Golden Eagles, 11-4 in the final minutes of play.
Marshall and Emmanuel Egbuta led the Tigers in scoring with 15 points a piece, while Wesley Harris marked his fourth double-double of the season, second in-a-row with 10 points, 10 rebounds.
The Tigers split the four-game road swing with its win over TTU and are 14-9 overall, 6-4 in OVC play.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Carlos Marshall Jr./Emmanuel Egbuta - 15
- Rebounds: Wesley Harris - 10
- Assists: Jon Brown/Marshall/Harris - 3
- Blocks: Jy’lan Washington/Egbuta - 2
- Steals: Marshall – 4
- Wesley Harris marked his fourth double-double of the season scoring 10 points, grabbing 10 rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wesley Harris executed a smooth three-point play with one and a half minutes off the clock marking the first points on the board for either team. Within the minute and half, both teams committed two turnovers.
- Emmanuel Egbuta scored six-straight points for Big Blue, increasing its lead, 11-7.
- The Golden Eagles kicked off an 8-0 run with a three-point shot by point guard Davidson.
- An Egbuta corner three broke the five minute drought the Tigers had from the floor.
- Scoring droughts combined with TTU runs put the Golden Eagles up, 36-29 at the break.
- Carlos Marshall Jr. in hot water under the rim, dished it out to Jon Brown who caught it on the move and sank a three to mark a 7-0 run to kick off the second period. Score’s tied at 36.
- 11 stops in a row helped set the Tigers up for another jumper before TTU made its first shot nine minutes into the period.
- Four minutes passed without a single field goal from either team.
- Shakem Johnson. SLAM. That is all.
- TTU took 16 three-point attempts, eventually sinking three to put them within one, 51-50.
- Tied with 31 seconds on the clock , TTU drew a shooting foul, allowing the Golden Eagles three free throws. Jr Clay made all three. TTU leads 61-59 with 1.7 seconds on the clock.
- Marshall heaves the ball up court to Wesley Harris who dishes it to Jy’lan Washington on the wing for a three. OVERTIME.
- The final five minutes in the game were made in the paint.
- TSU outscored TTU, 11-6 to take its first overtime victory of the season.
- TSU is 34-35 in the all-time series against TTU.
- Brian “Penny” Collins is 2-1 against the Golden Eagles.
- Coach Collins is 2-0 in overtime games.
The Tennessee State Tigers return home after its four-game road swing to take on OVC leader Austin Peay, Thursday, Feb. 6 in the Gentry Center with tip set for 7:30 p.m. on ESPN3.