|January 11, 2019||1st||2nd||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||TSUM||SEMO|
|FG Percentage||.456 (26-57)||.472 (25-53)|
|3P FG Percentage||.429 (9-21)||.381 (8-21)|
|FT Percentage||.824 (14-17)||.714 (15-21)|
JOHNSON - 2
NICHOLAS - 1
GABLE - 1
TOLBERT - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 75, Southeast Missouri 73
Records: TSU (11-6, 3-1), SEMO (4-13, 0-4)
Location: Cape Girardeau, Mo.
Venue: Show Me Center
CAPE GIRARDEAU, Mo. --- Carlos Marshall, Jr.'s second half performance lifted the Tigers to its first Ohio Valley Conference road win Saturday afternoon, 75-73 over Southeast Missouri in the Show Me Center.
Down 44-36 at the half, Marshall scored nine points in the first four minutes of the second period. Michael Littlejohn, who led the Tigers in the first with 11 points, followed it up with eight points and three assists in the second, including his fifth three-pointer to give TSU its first lead of the second half with 2:28 left on the clock. With the help of SEMO's 9:30 scoring drought, where the Redhawks had just five points off of free throws, Marshall drove through the lane for a layup to win the game, 75-73.
The Tigers are now fourth in the league after Saturday games with a 11-6 overall, 3-1 OVC record.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Carlos Marshall Jr - 21
- Rebounds: Shakem Johnson - 7
- Assists: Michael Littlejohn - 4
- Steals: Shakem Johnson/Jy'lan Washington - 2
- Blocks: Ben Kone' - 3
- SEMO ended the night going 9:30 without a field goal, but made seven free throws.
- This marks Marshall's second consecutive 20-point game.
- Big Blue shot 14-for-17 from the charity stripe.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Redhawks scored on all but two possessions over the course of the first four minutes of play. Michael Littlejohn, Shakem Johnson and Jy'lan Washington combined for nine points leading into the first media timeout.
- Isaiah Gable helped SEMO increase its lead over the Tigers going 2-for-3 from beyond the arc, 24-19.
- In the final five minutes of the first period, Tennessee State took four trips to the charity stripe, making all eight free throws.
- Littlejohn closed out the first half with a three-point shot with 22 seconds on the clock. Tigers trailed by eight, 44-36.
- Carlos Marshall Jr. drives the lane for the first shot to kick off the second period and continues offensive action for the Tigers scoring 9-of-11 points in the first five minutes of action.
- Back from a media break, Littlejohn pulls up for a floater as the shot clock expired to put the Tigers within two, 54-52.
- A Littlejohn three gives the Tigers its 73-71 lead after battling back from a 10-point deficit.
- Tied at 73 and almost two minutes without a bucket, Marshall drives the lane and lays one in to take the lead and eventually the game, 75-73.
- The Tigers lead the all-time series 28-23 after its win over SEMO.
- Brian "Penny" Collins is now 2-1 over the Redhawks, 1-1 in Cape Girardeau.
- TSU is 11-15 when taking on SEMO away from the Gentry Center.
The Tigers return home to host Morehead State, Thursday, Jan. 16 in the Gentry Center. Tip is set for 7:30 on ESPN+.