BRENTWOOD, Tenn. --- The Tennessee State men’s basketball team was selected fourth in the Ohio Valley Conference Preseason Media Poll, released Friday by the conference office.
Of the 13 voters from around the league, Tennessee State received one first-place vote and finished with 95 points.
Belmont, which won the OVC Regular Season Championship a year ago, secured the top spot with eight first-place votes and 148 points. Murray State and reigning OVC Tournament Champion Jacksonville State rounded out the top three, taking second and third respectively.
- The OVC Coaches Poll will be released on Tuesday, Oct. 24 at OVC Media Day in Evansville, Ind.
- Tennessee State is coming off back-to-back winning seasons, including a 17-13 mark in 2016-17.
- TSU has won 37 games over the last two seasons, tied for the third most among OVC schools during that time.
- The Tigers have qualified for the OVC Tournament in each of the last two seasons.
- TSU brings back nine players from last year’s roster, including eight who saw minutes.
- Starters Darreon Reddick (Sr.) and Christian Mekowulu (R-Jr.) are back with another year of experience.
Ohio Valley Conference Preseason Media Poll
1. Belmont (8 first-place votes) - 148 points
2. Murray State (1) – 138
3. Jacksonville State (2) – 132
4. Tennessee State (1) – 95
5. Eastern Kentucky (1) – 91
6. UT Martin – 82
7. Tennessee Tech – 80
8. Eastern Illinois – 79
9. Morehead State – 59
10. Austin Peay - 48
11. Southeast Missouri – 36
12. SIUE - 26
- Men’s Preseason Player of the Year: Jonathan Stark, Murray State