caution (April 26, 2020) Tennessee State University is continuing to monitor the coronavirus (COVID-19), and is committed to using all resources to keep the TSU Family abreast of the latest information regarding academic delivery, campus operations and COVID-19. TSU students needing more information about online classes or campus operations should visit the Student Information section. Learn More Here.

Tigers fight hard in loss to No. 21 Memphis
Monday, January 3, 2011

Memphis, Tenn. - In a tale of two Tigers that featured 10 lead changes, Tennessee State University dropped a tough, 91-86, loss at No. 21 (AP) Memphis on Sunday afternoon at the FedEx Forum.

In front of a crowd of more than 15, 000, TSU (6-8) tied a season-high shooting from the floor, 50 percent, with five players scoring in double figures.

Kenny Moore tied a career-high, 22 points, hitting 7-of-11 from the floor, while helping the Tigers shoot 50 percent (12-of-24) from behind the arc, nailing 5-of-6 of his own.

Wil Peters notched 17 points and a team-high seven assists. Robert Covington followed, hitting 7-of-12 overall, to finish with 16 points. Patrick Miller added 12 points and Jacquan Nobles hit 4-of-8 to chip in 11 points off the bench.

TSU held their largest lead of the game at the 16:50 mark, 14-6, in the first half. Memphis would have one lead in the first, 28-26, with 9:07 on the clock. TSU recaptured the lead for the remainder of the half, before MEM's Tariq Black executed a three-point play to post a tie score at the break, 43-43.

For Memphis (11-2), Antonio Barton hit 6-of-8 from the floor and 5-of-6 from three-point range to lead all scorers with 24 points. Black scored 22 points from 9-of-11 shooting.

Wil Barton recorded nine points while hauling in a game-high eight rebounds. Memphis shot 53 percent from the floor and pulled in 33 rebounds to TSU's 28. They scored 50 points in the paint with the reserves coming in to combine for 54 points. 

In the second half, TSU built their advantage back up to largest lead, 69-61. With 3:02 left and the score knotted up at 79, Memphis built an, 87-81, lead with 54 seconds left.

A pair of free-throws from Peters and a three-point shot by Moore clipped the lead to 87-86 with 22 seconds remaining. The Tigers fouled on the inbound play and MEM extended the lead with Barton's free-throws. TSU missed the game tying shot a MEM responded as time expired.

Next, TSU will visit Murray State to continue conference play. The game is slated for Jan. 6, with a 7:30 p.m. tip-off at the CFSB Center.