Saturday, Feb. 3
Murphy Center | Murfreesboro, Tenn.
STARTING LINE: The Tennessee State men’s and women’s track and field teams will make the short trip to Murfreesboro, Tenn. to compete in the MTSU Invitational on Saturday, Feb. 3. Field events will get underway with the shot put at 10:30 a.m. followed by running events at 2 p.m.
THE FIELD: Tennessee State (M/W), Middle Tennessee (M/W), Belmont (M/W), Eastern Kentucky (M/W), Austin Peay (W)
LAST TIME OUT: The last time TSU was in action was Jan. 26-27 at the Thundering Herd Invitational in Huntington, W.Va. Freshman Mikayla Thompson posted the top finish for the Tigerbelles, taking second in the shot put with a distance of 14.57m (47’9.75”). On the men’s side, freshmen Michael Willingham Jr. (Shot Put) and R’Lazon Brumfield (Triple Jump) had second-place finishes in field events. On the track, senior James Faison secured second in both the 200m and 400m.
OVC WEEKLY AWARDS
- Jan. 9 – Cyra Beard – Field Athlete of the Week
- Jan. 9 – James Faison – Track Athlete of the Week
- Jan. 9 – R’Lazon Brumfield – Field Athlete of the Week
- Jan. 17 – James Faison – Co-Track Athlete of the Week
- Jan. 31 - James Faison - Co-Track Athlete of the Week
- Jan. 31 - R'Lazon Brumfield - Co-Field Athlete of the Week
RANKINGS IN THE NATION
- 40th – Cyra Beard – High Jump – 1.75m (5’8.75”)
- 48th – Grenetria Shell – Long Jump – 5.97m (19’7”)
- 63rd – Grenetria Shell – Indoor Pentathlon – 3,513 Points
- 45th – R’Lazon Brumfield – Triple Jump – 15.31m (50’2.75”)
- 62nd – James Faison – 200m – 21.41
UP NEXT: In the final meet before the Ohio Valley Conference Indoor Championship, Tennessee State will compete at Hoosier Hills – an event hosted by Indiana University – on Friday, Feb. 9.