Paducah, Ky. - The Tennessee State women's tennis team failed to secure a victory in its rescheduled match versus Southeast Missouri, Thursday morning at a neutral location in McCracken County High School's Tennis Indoor Facility in Paducah, Kentucky.
Three Tigers forced a third or tiebreaker set over the course of the morning. Aarushi Kakkar, at No. 1, took set one easily, defeating SEMO's Romana Tarajova 6-1, before the Redhawk fought back to win the final two sets, 6-4, 6-3. Senior Pragati Natraj also won the first set at No. 2, 6-4 before her opponent answered with 6-3, 6-4 wins for sets two and three.
The Redhawks clinched the victory over Big Blue with the win over Kakkar, forcing Claudia Sole, who has played four three-set singles matches, to enter a 10-point super tiebreaker in place of a third set. The Spanish freshman fought through eight points, eventually falling to Sneha Sinha at No. 5, 3-6, 6-2, 10-8.
The Tigers return to action alongside the men, Saturday, April 10 at Nashboro Village against crosstown-rival Belmont.
1. KRUPA, Isabella/VELKOSKA, Teona (SEMO) def. CAGE, Morgan/KAKKAR, Aarushi (TSU) 6-1
2. ZONOVA, Kseniya/SINHA, Sneha (SEMO) vs. NATRAJ, Pragati/SOLE, Claudia (TSU) 5-2, unfinished
3. TARAJOVA, Romana/BARRIGA, Manuela (SEMO) def. VISHWANATH, A/BECKHAM, Mackenzie (TSU) 6-1
1. TARAJOVA, Romana (SEMO) def. KAKKAR, Aarushi (TSU) 1-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. ZONOVA, Kseniya (SEMO) def. NATRAJ, Pragati (TSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
3. KRUPA, Isabella (SEMO) def. VISHWANATH, A (TSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. VELKOSKA, Teona (SEMO) def. BECKHAM, Mackenzie (TSU) 6-0, 6-1
5. SINHA, Sneha (SEMO) def. SOLE, Claudia (TSU) 3-6, 6-2, 10-8
6. BARRIGA, Manuela (SEMO) def. JONES, Ashia (TSU) 6-2, 6-3
Tennessee State 5-12, 0-6 OVC
Southeast Missouri 9-8, 2-3 OVC
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (4,3,1,2,5,6)