HUNTSVILLE, Ala --- Playing on the road all weekend, the Tennessee State women’s tennis team came away with a 1-1 record. The Tigers began the weekend getting a 5-2 win on Friday against Alabama A&M.
“This was a great win for the ladies,” TSU Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “We were down after doubles; but we stay focused and dominated singles. Ani had a great win at No. 1. She lost to the same played last year, and her hard work this year pushed her through. Ashia played really well also. The bottom of the lineup dominated and I am happy with the results.”
--Tennessee State 5, Alabama A&M 2--
TSU started off losing the doubles point by dropping the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles matches. Pragati Natraj and Ani Popiashvili won their No.2 doubles match by a dominating 6-1 score.
In singles play the Tigers took control early and dominated winning five of the six singles matches in straight sets. Popiashvili set the tone by defeating Virag Hollos in three sets. Ashia Jones earned a win at No. 3 with a straight set win over Rida Khalid.
Playing at No. 4 Abhilasha Vishwanath cruised to a victory winning her match by the same 6-0 score. Natraj completed her undefeated day with a win at No. 5. Phyllicia Hemphill rounded out the winnings for the Tigers with a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 6.
- POPIASHVILI, Ani (TSUW) def. HOLLOS, Virag (AAMUW) 6-2, 0-6, 6-2
- G CEREZO, Beatriz (AAMUW) def. PATTERSON, Taylor (TSUW) 6-3, 6-1
- JONES, Ashia (TSUW) def. KHALID, Rida (AAMUW) 6-4, 6-2
- VISWANATH, Abhilasha (TSUW) def. SMITH, Shrarre (AAMUW) 6-0, 6-0
- NATRAJ, Pragati (TSUW) def. WILLIAMS, Alyssa (AAMUW) 6-1, 6-0
- HEMPHILL, Phyllicia (TSUW) def. LAWSON, Jazmine (AAMUW) 6-2, 6-0
- HOLLOS, Virag/KHALID, Rida (AAMUW) def. GANDY, Phoenix/PATTERSON, Taylor (TSUW) 6-3
- NATRAJ, Pragati/POPIASHVILI, Ani (TSUW) def. LAWSON, Jazmine/WILLIAMS, Alyssa (AAMUW) 6-1
- SMITH, Shrarre/G CEREZO, Beatriz (AAMUW) def. VISWANATH, Abhilasha/JONES, Ashia (TSUW) 6-4
RICHMOND, KY. --- The Tigers resumed conference play as they took on the Colonels of Eastern Kentucky in a match that saw the Tigers fall 6-1.
“The women did not play bad today. Gati was our lone winner and she continues to play well. She fought off nerves to get the win in three. Ani also played well at No.1. She fell in three but the match could have gone either way. Abhi and Hemphill matches were both really close as well. We have to figure out how to get over the hump. We have big matches this week. We have to get back to work. ”
Eastern Kentucky captured the doubles point with wins at No. 1 and No. 2 doubles. The team of Abhilasha Vishwanath and Ashia Jones played at the No.3 spot and were tied 3-3 in a match that went unfinished.
Natraj was the lone Tiger to win in singles, earning a hard fought three set victory at No. 5. Throughout the weekend Natraj went undefeated in singles play.
At No. 1 singles, Ani Popiashvili dropped a three set heartbreaker. After losing the first set 6-3, Popiashvili bounced back to win the second set 6-2 before falling in the final set by a 6-4 score.
UP NEXT: The Tigers host Arkansas Pine Bluff Apr. 11 at Hadley Park at 1 p.m.
- Kristina Lagoda (EKU) def. POPIASHVILI, Ani (TSUW) 6-4, 2-6, 6-4
- Viktorija Demcenkova (EKU) def. PATTERSON, Taylor (TSUW) 6-1, 6-0
- Laura Argente (EKU) def. JONES, Ashia (TSUW) 6-1, 6-0
- Sagung Putri Dwinta (EKU) def. VISWANATH, Abhilasha (TSUW) 3-6, 6-3, retired
- NATRAJ, Pragati (TSUW) def. Margaux Lacroix (EKU) 4-6, 6-3, 7-6
- Raquel Montalvo (EKU) def. HEMPHILL, Phyllicia (TSUW) 7-5, 6-1
- Kristina Lagoda/Viktorija Demcenkova (EKU) def. GANDY, Phoenix/PATTERSON, Taylor (TSUW) 6-2
- Laura Argente/Raquel Montalvo (EKU) def. POPIASHVILI, Ani/NATRAJ, Pragati (TSUW) 6-1
- Sagung Putri Dwinta/Margaux Lacroix (EKU) vs. VISWANATH, Abhilasha/JONES, Ashia (TSUW) 3-3, unfinished