NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- The Tennessee State women’s tennis team cruised to a 7-0 victory over Christian Brothers University on Friday afternoon at the Hadley Park Bubble. The win helped the Tigers post a perfect 3-0 fall season.
“To be 3-0 and undefeated after the fall season is great,” TSU Head Coach Monroe Walker III said. “I’m proud of the way they have competed and are turning TSU tennis around. We have a lot of work to do, but we are heading in the right direction.”
TSU (3-0) began the day with a dominating performance in doubles with three wins to take the point from the Buccaneers (1-1). The all-freshmen duo of Ani Popiashvili (Tbilisi, Georgia) and Pragati Natraj (Bangalore, India) earned an 8-4 victory over Lauren Woog and Rachel Farmer at No. 1 doubles.
In No. 2 action, junior Taylor Patterson (Olive Branch, Miss.) and freshman Abhilasha Vishwanath (Bangalore, India) posted an 8-3 win against Rebecca Johnston and Melody Mays, while Phoenix Gandy (Atlanta, Ga.) and Phyllicia Hemphill (Nashville, Tenn.) were 8-3 winners in their No. 3 doubles match.
Moving onto singles play, Popiashvili played her way to a straight-set 6-3, 6-0 win at No. 1 singles versus Woog, and Natraj downed Farmer, 6-0, 6-0 at No. 2 singles.
TSU put the match out of reach thanks to a 6-0, 6-2 win courtesy of Vishwanath at No. 3 singles.
Patterson put on a dominating performance at No. 4 singles, earning a 6-0, 6-1 win over Tyler Napier. In the final two singles slots, Gandy (No. 5) and Hemphill (No. 6) picked up identical 6-2, 6-2 victories in their respective matches.
1. Popiashvili/Natraj (TSU) def. Woog/Farmer (CBU), 8-4
2. Vishwanath/Patterson (TSU) def. Johnston/Mays (CBU), 8-1
3. Gandy/Hemphill (TSU) def. McKinney/Napier (CBU), 8-3
1. Ani Popiashvili (TSU) def. Lauren Woog (CBU), 6-3, 6-0
2. Pragati Natraj (TSU) def. Rachel Famer (CBU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Abhilasha Vishwanath (TSU) Rebecca Johnston (CBU), 6-0, 6-2
4. Taylor Patterson (TSU) Tyler Napier (CBU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Phoenix Gandy (TSU) Melody Mays (CBU), 6-2, 6-2
6. Phyllicia Hemphill (TSU) Hailey McKinney (CBU), 6-2, 6-2
ORDER OF FINISH: Doubles – 3, 1, 2; Singles – 4, 2, 3, 1, 6, 5