ST. LOUIS - Competing in the first dual match of the non-traditional fall season, the Tennessee State women’s tennis team earned a 7-1 road victory over NAIA-opponent Missouri Baptist on Friday night. TSU swept the three doubles matches before winning four singles matches for the convincing victory.
The last win for the women’s program came on April 16, 2012 over Mississippi Valley State.
In doubles action, freshmen Ani Popiashvili (Tbilisi, Georgia) and Pragati Natraj (Bangalore, India) teamed up for an 8-4 win over MBU’s Krista Tyson and Dani Stevenson at the No. 1 slot.
TSU’s Phoenix Gandy (Atlanta, Ga.) and Taylor Patterson (Olive Branch, Miss.) made quick work of Emily Brown and Lindsey Burgess with an 8-2 victory in No. 2 doubles action, while freshman Abhilasha Vishwanath (Bangalor, India) and junior Phyllicia Hemphill (Nashville, Tenn.) cruised to an 8-0 No. 3 doubles win against Cheyenne Anderson and Emma Schoch.
The Tigers’ strong play carried over to singles where TSU earned straight-set victories in four matches.
Vishwanath posted back-to-back 6-0 set wins for a victory in her No. 2 singles match with Stevenson. At No. 3, Gandy played her way to a 6-2, 6-4 win, while Patterson was a 6-0, 6-1 winner over Anderson at No. 4.
Hemphill added a 6-1, 6-1 win in her No. 5 singles match against Burgess, and the No. 6 singles match featuring Blair Moses (Memphis, Tenn.) and Kelsey Welton went unfinished.
The Tigers are back in action with another dual match at McKendree on Saturday, Oct. 17.
1. Popiashvili/Natraj (TSU) def. Tyson/Stevenson (MBU), 8-4
2. Gandy/Patterson (TSU) def. Brown/Burgess (MBU), 8-2
3. Hemphill/Vishwanath (TSU) def. Anderson/Schoch (MBU), 8-0
1. Krista Tyson (MBU) def. Ani Popiashvili (TSU), 6-3, 6-4
2. Abhilasha Vishwanath (TSU) def. Dani Stevenson (MBU), 6-0, 6-0
3. Phoenix Gandy (TSU) def. Emily Brown (MBU), 6-2, 6-4
4. Taylor Patterson (TSU) def. Cheyenne Anderson (MBU), 6-0, 6-1
5. Phyllicia Hemphill (TSU) def. Lindsey Burgess (MBU), 6-1, 6-1
6. Blair Moses (TSU) vs. Kelsey Welton (MBU), Unfinished