Event 4: Town and Country Invitational
Hosted by: Tennessee State
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
Course: McCabe Golf Course
Details: Par-72, Yardage – 5,836
Weather at Start of Round: Round 1 - 46, Sunny
Scoring: Stats at tsutigers.com
Place After Round 1: 6 of 6 (+33)
NASHVILLE, Tenn. --- The Tennessee State women’s golf team is in sixth place after day one of the Town and Country Invitational held at the McCabe Golf Course. The Tigers are two strokes behind Trevecca and nine behind Cumberland. Austin Peay leads after the first round after teaming for a 4-over, 292.
Savannah Szozda led the Tigers for the second consecutive round. The sophomore was top finisher at the Braun Intercollegiate one week ago. Szozda posted a 6-over, 78, one stroke ahead of Carson Racich and Morgan Rood. Haleigh Riley posted the final scoring round for the Tigers with an 85.
Paige Harlin registered a non-scoring 93, while Dhani McDowell finished with an 87 while playing as an individual.
TSU looks to climb the leader board during the final round on Tuesday.
Carson Racich (Started on Hole 1)
- Was 5-over through five holes
- Registered pars over the next five holes before getting a stroke back on the par-5, 11th
- Hit hybrid from 215 yards to 10 feet on her second shot
- Missed on the chance for eagle, before making the tap in for birdie
- Pared four of the final seven holes
- Saved par on No. 6 and No. 8 with iron shots to seven and 12 feet, respectively
Morgan Rood (Hole 1)
- Carded two birdies on the day
- Helped TSU open at 2-under with a birdie on the first hole
- On the par-4, 7th, hit driver down the center of the fairway
- Hit approach from 67 yards out to six inches for tap in birdie
- Pared four of the first five holes on the back nine
Paige Harlin (Hole 1)
- Helped put the Tigers in front on the leader board with a birdie on the first hole
- Hit a hybrid to seven feet of the pin to set up birdie putt
Haleigh Riley (Hole 1)
- Recorded five consecutive pars on the back nine
- On the par-3, 12th, hit straight to the flag from 163 yards out
- Two putted for par
Savannah Szozda (Hole 1)
- Hit hybrid off the tee box on the par-3, 2nd, and stuck shot six feet from the flag
- Made the putt for first birdie of the day
- Found the rough off the tee box on the par-5, 11th
- Used hybrid to 103 yards out on second shot
- Stuck 9-iron next to the hole on the approach shot for tap in birdie
(I) Dhani McDowell (Hole 1)
- Drove down the left side of the fairway on the par-4, 13th
- Used 7-iron to short of the green
- Missed chip-in for birdie, landing four inches from the cup
- Tapped in to save par
Day Two: The second round begins at 10:00 a.m. on Tuesday with individual tee times followed by team play. Dhani McDowell will be the first Tiger on the course at 10:20 a.m. TSU will hit the links at 10:50 a.m.
Leaderboard (40 Golfers)
1. AnnaMichelle Moore (Austin Peay) 70, -2
T13. Savannah Szozda 78, +6
T22. Carson Racich 79, +7
T22. Morgan Rood 79, +7
T32. Haleigh Riley 85, +13
T35. Dhani McDowell 87, +15
40. Paige Harlin 93, +21
Second Round Tee Times (from Hole 1):
10:20 a.m. - Dhani McDowell (I)
10:50 a.m. - Tennessee State
11:05 a.m. - Trevecca
11:20 a.m. - Cumberland
11:35 a.m. - Lipscomb
11:50 a.m. - Blemont
12:05 p.m. - Austin Peay
|Dhani McDowell (I)||11||5||35||4||0|
Head Coach Parrish McGrath
- On today's play
“We played pretty good from tee to green. We got on the wrong side of the hole a few times. That cost us in terms of our statistics in putting, however I was very proud of the team’s effort."
- On tournament format
"The format of playing in a fivesome allowed me to be with the entire team for the duration of play, which was great for both the team and myself."