|January 04, 2020||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
Tennessee State Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||SIUEW||TSU|
|FG Percentage||.464 (26-56)||.375 (21-56)|
|3P FG Percentage||.273 (3-11)||.214 (3-14)|
|FT Percentage||.750 (21-28)||.667 (18-27)|
WRISTER - 4
KENT - 4
YOUNG - 2
WRIGHTSELL - 2
Kaitlin Lee - 1
NASHVILLE --- A slow start led to an early deficit that the Tennessee State University women’s basketball team could not overcome in a, 76-63, loss to SIU Edwardsville Saturday afternoon in the Gentry Center.
TSU (2-10, 0-2 OVC) struggled in the first half and only managed to score a total of 22 points. Despite falling behind by 20 points, TSU continued to battle and cut the deficit down to six points midway through the fourth quarter.
The home team matched SIUE (3-10, 1-1 OVC) point-for-point in the second half but it was not enough to get over the hump.
Taylor Roberts led TSU with 18 points while Jazmine Young added 14.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Taylor Roberts - 18
- Rebounds: Kent, Wrister, Young - 4
- Assists: Wrightsell - 3
- Steals: Roberts, Young, Wrightsell - 2
- TSU shot 37.5 percent from the field and 21.4 percent from three-point range.
- The Lady Tigers struggled from the free-throw line, only making 18-of-27 for 66.7 percent.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a number of self-inflicted miscues and missed opportunities, TSU fell behind in the opening quarter.
- TSU’s struggles continued in the second period as the Lady Tigers trailed by as many as 14 before going into the break down, 35-22.
- In the third stanza, TSU did a better job of scoring the ball.
- Just before the media timeout, Taylor Roberts scored in the paint to cap a 7-0 run that closed the gap to, 48-35.
- Back-to-back buckets from Jaden Wrightsell, including a three-point play sliced the deficit down to eight points, 50-42, with 3:03 remaining.
- The Lady Tigers outscored the Cougars ,23-18 , in the third period and trailed, 53-45, heading into the final 10-minutes of the game.
- With 6:19 remaining, Deaja Richardson sank a three-pointer to pull TSU within six, 57-51.
- The visitors answered with spurt over the next two minutes that put them back on top by double-digits.
- Down the stretch, the Cougars were able to keep the Lady Tigers at bay.
- SIUE now leads the all-time series 11-3.
- Taylor Roberts recorded double-digits for the eighth time this season.
- Jazmine Young notched double digits for the eighth game.
- SIUE has won five straight against TSU.
- Tennessee State will hit the road to take on UT Martin Thursday, Jan. 9. Game time is set for 5:30 p.m. in Skyhawk Arena.