|November 08, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
Tennessee State Lady
|Stats at a Glance||WU||TSUW|
|FG Percentage||.404 (19-47)||.370 (27-73)|
|3P FG Percentage||.071 (1-14)||.200 (3-15)|
|FT Percentage||.667 (26-39)||.788 (26-33)|
ASHEALEY - 2
COULTER - 1
MOORE - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 83 – Wilberforce 65
Records: TSU (1-0) – WU (1-3)
Venue: Gentry Center
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State University women’s basketball team opened the 2019-20 slate with an 83-65 victory over Wilberforce Friday night in the Gentry Center.
Tennessee State starts 1-0 for the first time since the 2012-13 season.
Junior Taylor Roberts led TSU in scoring with 19 points while junior Jaden Wrightsell pulled down a game-high 14 rebounds. Jazmine Young also scored in double-digits, registering 11 points and six steals.
The Lady Tiger offense was a balanced attack as nine players scored five points or more. TSU outrebounded WU 48-37 and forced the Bulldogs into 30 turnovers.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Taylor Roberts – 19
- Rebounds: Jaden Wrightsell – 14
- Assists: Terrysha Banner – 3
- Steals: Jazmine Young - 6
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Tennessee State came out sluggish to start the game but managed to put together a spurt to go on top, 19-11, at the end of the first quarter.
- TSU maintained the lead through the opening stanza and carried a 41-26 advantage into the locker room.
- The Lady Tigers shot 32.4 percent from the field and 12.5 percent (1-of-8) from three-point range in the first half.
- A 9-4 run to start the third quarter stretched the home team’s lead to 50-28 at the 6:05 mark.
- TSU increased its cushion to 20 points later in the period and despite a late rally by the visitors maintained a double-digit lead the rest of the way.
- TSU won its season opener for the first time since the 2012-13 campaign.
- 10 players scored in the game.
- The 14 rebounds by Jaden Wrightsell is one shy of her career-high 15.
“It's always nice to start the season off with a win. Wilberforce is a very well coached team and I am so grateful that they were able to fill in when Cincinnati Christian was unable to play. I think this was a very good opener for us. Always excited with a win but we do have some things to work on. “
- Head Coach Jessica Kern
- Tennessee State will hit the road to face the Lady Vols in Knoxville, Tenn. on Thursday, Nov. 14. Game time against the SEC opponent is set for 6 p.m. CT in Thompson Boling Arena.