|February 23, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
TSU Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||EIUWBB||TSU|
|FG Percentage||.488 (21-43)||.481 (26-54)|
|3P FG Percentage||.471 (8-17)||.294 (5-17)|
|FT Percentage||.640 (16-25)||.867 (13-15)|
Final Score: Tennessee State 70– Eastern Illinois 66
Records: TSU (5-23, 5-11 OVC) – EIU (10-17, 4-12 OVC)
Venue: Gentry Center
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
NASHVILLE --- In a game that went down to the wire, the Tennessee State University women’s basketball team gutted out a, 70-66, win over Eastern Illinois Thursday night in the Gentry Center.
TSU trailed by four points early in the fourth quarter but battled back to tie the game. Despite using a run to capture a seven-point lead with just under two minutes remaining, TSU had to fight off EIU down the stretch.
The Lady Tigers were up 68-66 when Tia Wooten hit two timely free-throws with 8.8 seconds remaining to give TSU a 70-66 lead. EIU’s final shot attempt was off the mark.
Tennessee State (5-23, 5-11 OVC) was led in scoring by Tia Wooten who posted 22 points in her final game in the Gentry Center. Taylor Roberts finished with 11 while Cebria Outlow had a solid performance of six points, seven rebounds and seven assists.
Eastern Illinois (10-17, 4-12 OVC) had three players score in double-digits led by Taylor Steele’s 23 points. Karle Pace tallied 21 points and Jalisha Smith added 11.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Tia Wooten – 22
- Rebounds: Cebria Outlow – 7
- Assists: Cebria Outlow – 7
- Steals: Tia Wooten - 4
- There were five ties and five lead changes in the game.
- TSU had a 33-8 advantage in bench points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After falling behind 6-0, TSU regrouped and scored seven straight to take the lead.
- Eastern Illinois answered with a 9-0 run to move back in front and led, 22-15, at the end of the first quarter.
- TSU was trailing, 30-23, in the third period when a bucket by Taylor Roberts sparked a 10-0 run that gave TSU a 33-30 advantage.
- The score was 37-35 in favor of the Lady Tigers at halftime.
- Following a fiercely contested third period, the score was tied 51-51 heading into the final stanza.
- The score went back and forth and TSU had a slight, 60-58, lead with 4:52 left to play.
- With 2:31 on the clock, Lauren Elliott drained a three-pointer to give TSU a 66-59 lead.
- EIU answered but Cebria Outlow found Taylor Roberts to give the Lady Tigers a 68-61 cushion.
- TSU with without a bucket over the next several possessions and EIU closed to within two with 13.7 seconds remaining.
- Tia Wooten was fouled and made both to give the Lady Tigers a 70-66 edge with 8.8 seconds remaining.
- EIU’s next shot attempt was off the mark.
- Taylor Roberts scored in double-digits for the fourth consecutive game.
- Tia Wooten matched her season-high with 22 points.
- Cebria Outlow dished out a season-high seven assists.
- TSU will hit the road for the final two games of the regular season starting with a Thursday matchup at Southeast Missouri.