|February 16, 2019||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||1OT||Final|
TSU Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||JSU|
|FG Percentage||.468 (29-62)||.481 (25-52)|
|3P FG Percentage||.300 (3-10)||.467 (7-15)|
|FT Percentage||.857 (12-14)||.679 (19-28)|
PEARSON - 5
PERRY - 1
LONG - 1
DAY - 1
JOHNSON - 1
PEARSON - 1
WEBSTER - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 73 – Jacksonville State 76 (OT)
Records: TSU (4-22, 4-10 OVC) – JSU (12-13, 6-8 OVC)
Venue: Pete Mathews Coliseum
Location: Jacksonville, Ala.
Jacksonville, Ala. --- The Tennessee State University women’s basketball team saw the game slip away in the final seconds as the Lady Tigers fell to Jacksonville State, 76-73, in overtime Saturday night in Pete Mathews Coliseum.
In a game that was highly contested from the onset, Tia Wooten hit a jumper late in the game to tie the score at 73-all. With 3.4 seconds remaining, however, JSU went the length of the court and drained a three-pointer as time expired to escape with the win.
Taylor Roberts led TSU with 27 points while Tia Wooten added 18.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Taylor Roberts – 27
- Rebounds: Cebria Outlow and Tia Wooten – 6
- Assists: Lauren Elliott – 3
- Steals: Cebria Outlow
- Tia Wooten had 18 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After a hard-fought first half by both teams, TSU held a slight, 32-29, advantage at the break.
- The Lady Tigers shot 52.0 percent from the field and outscored the Gamecocks, 18-11, in the second quarter.
- The back-and-forth pace continued in the third period as the teams traded buckets.
- TSU managed to build a six-point cushion, 44-36, following a quick 6-0 spurt.
- The Lady Tiger offense was stagnant the last five minutes of the quarter and the Gamecocks used a 7-2 run to close to within three, 46-43, heading into the final frame.
- TSU had a, 54-51, edge when four unanswered points made the lead, 58-51, and forced a JSU timeout.
- The home team once again rallied to within two with 1:34 remaining.
- The score was, 62-60, in favor of TSU with 22.6 seconds when JSU made two free-throws to tie the game.
- On the next play, Tia Wooten nailed a jumper to give TSU a, 64-62, lead with 3.8 seconds remaining.
- On their possession, the Gamecocks scored to send the game to overtime.
- In the extra period, JSU was leading 69-67, when two free-throws extended the Gamecocks advantage to 71-67.
- Tia Wooten pulled the Lady Tigers back to within one on the next play.
- TSU trailed, 73-71, with 17.0 seconds remaining and had to foul.
- JSU missed both freebies and after coming away with the rebound, TSU was fouled.
- Taylor Roberts went to the line and made both to knot the game ta 73-all with 5.6 seconds remaining.
- On the next play, JSU sank a three-pointer at the buzzer to steal the win.
- Tia Wooten scored in double-digits for the sixth straight game and the 18th time this season.
- Taylor Roberts scored in double-digits for the second consecutive game. She had 14 points in the first half.
- TSU dropped its fifth straight to Jacksonville State.
- TSU returns to Nashville for the final two regular season home games of the season beginning with a match-up with SIU Edwardsville on Thursday, Feb. 21. Game time is set for 5:30 p.m. in Gentry Center.