|December 15, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
TSU Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||MARW|
|FG Percentage||.389 (21-54)||.453 (29-64)|
|3P FG Percentage||.308 (4-13)||.400 (8-20)|
|FT Percentage||.591 (13-22)||.560 (14-25)|
WOOTEN - 3
WRIGHTSELL - 2
GORE - 4
MAYO - 4
OUTLOW - 1
WOOTEN - 1
SAINTIGENE - 1
BROOKS - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 59 – Marshall 80
Records: TSU (0-10) – MU (5-5)
Venue: Cam Henderson Center
Location: Huntington, W. Va.
Huntington, W. Va. --- The Tennessee State University women’s basketball team dropped an, 80-59, decision to Marshall Saturday afternoon in Cam Henderson Center.
Sophomore Taylor Roberts led TSU with 21 points while redshirt senior Tia Wooten (12) and sophomore Andreana Wrister also posted double-digits. Jaden Wrightsell pulled down a team-best nine rebounds.
Marshall was paced by Shayna Gore’s 24 points.
Tennessee State shot 38.9 percent (21-of-54) from the field, including 4-of-13 from three-point range. The Lady Tigers struggled from the free-throw line, only connecting 13-of-22 attempts.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Taylor Roberts – 21
- Rebounds: Jaden Wrightsell - 9
- Assists: Taylor Roberts and Tia Wooten - 3
- Steals: Taylor Roberts and Jaden Wrightsell - 2
HOW IT HAPPENED
- TSU jumped out to a 6-0 lead then went without a bucket over the next three and a half minutes while Marshall reeled off nine unanswered points.
- Ashley Primas scored in the paint to end TSU’s scoring drought but another 2:45 lull allowed MU to go ahead, 17-8.
- The Herd outscored the Lady Tigers 12-3 in the final five minutes of the quarter.
- In the second frame, a 6-2 spurt capped by a three-pointer from Andreana Wrister, pulled TSU to within four, 19-15.
- Despite shooting 54.5 percent from the field and outscoring Marshall, 15-14, in the second quarter, TSU went into the locker room trailing, 31-24.
- Marshall only went 3-of-15 from the field but made 8-of-11 free-throws in the second quarter.
- Tennessee State fell behind by double-digits in the third period before an old fashioned three-point play by Taylor Roberts made the score, 37-30, in favor of Marshall.
- The Herd answered with an 8-0 run and stretched their advantage to, 45-30, midway through the third quarter.
- TSU trailed 58-42 heading into the final frame after getting outscored, 27-18, in the third stanza.
- TSU battled in the fourth but could not close the gap.
- Taylor Roberts scored at least 20 points for the fifth time this season.
- Marshall leads the all-time series 5-0.
- Andreana Wrister matched her career-high with 11 points.
Head Coach Jessica Kern
“At the end of the day, I’ve always said that our kids play hard. Today I think we came out ready and we didn’t sustain. We were in the locker room a lot longer after the game because there have to be teaching moments in every single obstacle you go through.“
-Overall thoughts on the game.
“Taylor Roberts has consistently been a threat for us. She plays four different positions at times and I’m very proud of her. Tia Wooten took full responsibility for turning the ball over nine times tonight. I think that’s overall growth as a leader. Andreana Wrister came in and shot lights out and that’s exactly what we need. And then Jaden Wrightsell.. she is always in there battling on the boards for us."
-On some individual players
- TSU will head to Chicago for the second half of this four-day road trip to face No. 20 DePaul on Monday night.