|November 24, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
TSU Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||WIS|
|FG Percentage||.293 (17-58)||.404 (21-52)|
|3P FG Percentage||.375 (6-16)||.176 (3-17)|
|FT Percentage||.591 (13-22)||.565 (13-23)|
SIMS - 6
TEAM - 6
- 4||Van Leeuwen
Final Score: Tennessee State 53 – Wisconsin 58
Records: TSU (0-6) – UW (5-0)
Venue: Municipal Auditorium
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State University women’s basketball team took Big Ten opponent Wisconsin to the wire in a 58-53 loss on day two of the Challenge in Music City Basketball Tournament Saturday afternoon in Municipal Auditorium.
Tennessee State (0-6) erased a 16-point deficit but Wisconsin (5-0) made a key stop and free-throws with seconds left to secure the win.
Taylor Roberts led TSU in scoring for the second straight night with 25 points and broke the Challenge in Music City record for most points in a game. Tia Wooten recorded five steals in the game, also a tournament record.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Taylor Roberts – 25
- Rebounds: Taylor Roberts, Asia Sims - 6
- Assists: Lauren Elliott - 4
- Steals: Tia Wooten - 5
HOW IT HAPPENED
- TSU opened the game by outscoring Wisconsin 9-2 and shot 50 percent from the field through the first five minutes of action.
- Wisconsin answered with an 11-2 run to take the lead, 13-11.
- TSU managed to tie the game 14-14 before the offense went stagnant.
- After going nearly six minutes without a point, TSU finally got on the board in the second quarter on a Taylor Roberts free-throw.
- The offense continued to struggle and TSU went into the halftime break trailing, 31-19, after being outscored, 17-5, in the period.
- In the third stanza, a 9-0 run fueled by nine straight points from Taylor Roberts pulled TSU to within seven, 35-28, and forced a Wisconsin timeout.
- The Lady Tigers continued to press the issue and cut the deficit down to just three, 43-40, on a triple from Taylor Roberts just before the quarter ended.
- TSU was down, 48-47, when Lauren Elliott sank a jumper to put TSU on top with 4:24 remaining.
- From there the teams traded buckets.
- Wisconsin managed to build a 56-52 lead with 25.6 seconds left on the clock.
- On TSU’s next possession, Tia Wooten was fouled and made one of two attempts to make the score, 56-52, in favor of UW.
- UW stepped out of bounds on the ensuing possession and the ball went back to TSU with 16.5 seconds.
- TSU’s next shot attempt was off the mark and UW came away with the rebound.
- TSU was forced to foul and Wisconsin made both free-throws to seal the win.
- Taylor Roberts posted another season-high with 25 points.
- Wooten finished with nine points for the second consecutive game.
- Wisconsin now leads the all-time series 2-0.
- Taylor Roberts broke Challenge in Music City record for most points in a game while Tia Wooten also set the record for steals with five.
Head Coach Jessica Kern
“I can’t say how proud I am of my team. We rebounded very well. We were definitely undersized. We told the guards in the second half they had to do their part so we would help our tweeners, which we did in the second half. From the free-throw line we didn’t shoot what we usually shoot, however, we shared the ball extremely well. We only had 14 turnovers which is great versus 23 yesterday. It comes down to the last 57 seconds and Wisconsin got out of here with one. But I am so extremely encouraged by this team. We know we are one step away from turning the corner.”
-Overall thoughts on the game.
“We have to make sure that key players are consistently out of foul trouble. That’s where new players have to get their minutes in. If you pick up a quick foul, we’re going to have to rotate a younger body in there and we have to be okay with that. Seasoned players have to be more disciplined in the beginning.”
-On overcoming slow quarters
- TSU concludes tournament action tomorrow against Pittsburgh. Game time is set for 5 p.m. in Municipal Auditorium.