|February 24, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||BEL|
|FG Percentage||.259 (15-58)||.471 (32-68)|
|3P FG Percentage||.208 (5-24)||.421 (16-38)|
|FT Percentage||.467 (7-15)||.571 (4-7)|
SMITH - 5
MAGGARD - 5
ROBERTS - 2
JONES - 1
MUENSTERMAN - 1
YOST - 1
MAGGARD - 1
ROY - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 42 – Belmont 84
Records: TSU (6-21, 4-14 OVC) – BU (28-0, 18-0 OVC)
Venue: Curb Event Center
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State University women’s basketball team fell to No. 23 Belmont, 84-42, in the regular season finale Saturday afternoon in the Curb Event Center.
After a well played first half, the TSU offense struggled to score in the second stanza. Tennessee State finishes the season with an overall record of 6-21 and a 4-14 OVC mark.
Redshirt junior Tia Wooten registered her 12th double-double of the season with 13 points and 11 rebounds. Senior Maxine Beard had seven points, four assists, three rebounds and two steals in her final game as a Lady Tiger.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Tia Wooten – 13
- Rebounds: Tia Wooten - 11
- Assists: Maxine Beard – 4
- TSU scored 13 points in the second half.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- TSU was down 19-15 when Asia Sims drained a three-pointer to pull the Lady Tigers within one.
- The Lady Tigers burned a timeout after the Bruins used an 8-0 run to capture a 27-18 lead.
- Kaliya Griffin nailed a triple to end TSU’s three-minute scoring drought but the Lady Tigers were outscored 23-14 in the second period and trailed 42-29 at the break.
- Belmont opened the second half with an 8-2 run which led to TSU calling a timeout.
- Maxine Beard scored on breakaway layup following the timeout but Belmont increased its advantage to 52-33 on the next play.
- TSU got outscored 19-9 in the third quarter and trailed 61-38 heading into the final frame.
- The offense continued to struggle in the final period and the deficit proved too much to overcome.
- Tia Wooten scored in double-digits for the 27th time and posted her 12th double-double of the season.
- TSU dropped its seven straight to BU.
- Senior Maxine Beard played in her final game as a Lady Tiger.
Head Coach Jessica Kern
"I think we battled very well in the first half. I think we had some missed defensive assignments but I think we stuck to the game plan. They shot 38 three-pointers tonight and that’s difficult. Overall though, the totality of the season, its been an extremely emotional season for our team. But I think if we’ve learned anything from this season, it’s that the future for TSU looks bright. And I’m excited to get to this off-season and work on the things we really need to work on."