|February 22, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||TTU|
|FG Percentage||.448 (26-58)||.387 (24-62)|
|3P FG Percentage||.294 (5-17)||.158 (3-19)|
|FT Percentage||.889 (8-9)||.895 (17-19)|
SIMS - 2
BEARD - 2
BEARD - 1
HICKSON - 1
COLEMAN - 1
Final Score: Tennessee State 65 – Tennessee Tech 68
Records: TSU (6-19, 4-12 OVC) – TTU (6-21, 3-13 OVC)
Venue: Eblen Center
Location: Cookeville, Tenn.
NASHVILLE --- In a hard fought battle on the road, the Tennessee State University women’s basketball team dropped a tough, 68-65, decision to Tennessee Tech Thursday night in the Eblen Center.
In a game that wasn’t decided until the final seconds, Tennessee State (6-20, 4-13 OVC) Tennessee Tech (7-21, 4-13 OVC) battled the entire night. TSU used a 10-0 run to outscore TTU 22-14 in the third quarter but the Golden Eagles edged the Lady Tigers, 24-14, in the final period to claim the narrow win.
Tia Wooten posted a double-double for the 11th time this season and led TSU with 24 points and 15 rebounds. Taylor Roberts finished the game with 14 points off the bench while Maxine Beard chipped in 10.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Tia Wooten – 24
- Rebounds: Tia Wooten - 15
- Assists: Maxine Beard – 7
- Taylor Roberts had 14 while Maxine Beard added 10.
- TSU held the advantage in bench points, 16-8, and outrebounded Tech, 40-32.
- There were 11 ties and 18 lead changes in the game.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After trailing early, TSU used an 8-0 run to take a 14-11 lead.
- TSU held a slight, 16-14, advantage at the end of the first quarter but TTU scored the first four points of the second period to recapture the lead.
- The Lady Tigers briefly moved back on top before the teams traded buckets the rest of the half.
- At the break, TSU trailed, 30-29.
- The third quarter was a tug-of-war between both teams. TSU managed to create a four-point cushion behind a couple of buckets from Tia Wooten.
- Tech called a timeout to halt the Lady Tiger run but four more points gave TSU a 42-34 lead.
- The Golden Eagles responded with a 6-0 spurt to close within two.
- The Lady Tigers put together another rally to go up, 51-42, before carrying a 51-44 advantage into the final stanza.
- TTU closed the gap to two points once again.
- With 1:39 remaining, the score was tied, 61-61.
- Tech grabbed a 66-65 lead with 44.6 seconds remaining after two made free-throws.
- TSU’s next shot attempt was off the mark and the Lady Tigers had to foul.
- Tech made both to move ahead, 68-65, with 20.4 seconds on the clock.
- TSU’s final shot attempts were off the mark.
Head Coach Jessica Kern
“I think they played a good 38 minutes. Unfortunately we had two key players that ended up fouling out in key moments. We still had a chance at the end to execute. [We had] three offensive rebounds on one possession. Unfortunately weren’t able to get a score. So we go back to Nashville with a loss. And we’re pretty disappointed.”
-Overall thoughts on the game
“We fight. Point blank period, we fight. We fight to the end. I sent all my kids a long note today letting them know how far we’ve come. And I think the hardest part especially, being young as a staff and young as a unit – you forget how far you’ve come. From preseason, when players weren’t making mile times. To the weight room when players couldn’t max out… To players that have gone through personal struggles and have persevered. You have to look at the season in its totality. And although we didn’t come out with a win tonight, we are growing. That’s what’s important. Although that’s difficult for young people to understand, we are heading in the right direction. We’re doing it the right way. We’ve got one more in the regular season and we’re going to give it all we’ve got against Belmont.”
- On the mentality that has been instilled on the team
- TSU returns to action on Saturday, Feb. 24 at Belmont. Game time is set for 3 p.m. in the Curb Event Center.