|January 11, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||1OT||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||TSU||EIU|
|FG Percentage||.286 (16-56)||.400 (24-60)|
|3P FG Percentage||.211 (4-19)||.211 (4-19)|
|FT Percentage||.793 (23-29)||.778 (14-18)|
WOOTEN - 18
WILLIAMS - 2
GRIFFIN - 2
SIMS - 2
McRAE - 4
BERRY - 4
STULL - 1
Final Box: Tennessee State 59 – Eastern Illinois 66 - OT
Records: TSU (3-11,1-4 OVC) – Eastern Illinois (2-14, 1-4 OVC)
Venue: Lantz Arena
Location: Charleston, Ill.
Charleston, Ill. --- The Tennessee State University women’s basketball team dropped a tough, 66-59, decision to Eastern Illinois in overtime Thursday night in Lantz Arena.
TSU (3-11, 1-4 OVC) used a 13-0 run in the third period to take control of the game but went cold down the stretch in the overtime loss. The Lady Tigers only scored five points in the fourth quarter while EIU (2-14, 1-4 OVC) outscored TSU 11-4 in the extra frame.
Tia Wooten and Taylor Roberts led TSU with 18 points each while Kaliya Griffin added 11. Wooten also pulled down 11 rebounds for a double-double.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Taylor Roberts and Tia Wooten- 18
- Rebounds: Tia Wooten – 11
- Steals: Taylor Roberts - 5
- Rebounds were tied 40-40.
- EIU held the advantage in points in the paint, 32-12.
- Kaliya Griffin scored 11 points for TSU.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- EIU scored 13 points off turnovers and led, 31-26, at the break.
- The Lady Tigers scored the first four points of the third quarter but the Panthers responded and built a 37-31 lead near the midway mark.
- Back-to-back buckets from Taylor Roberts sparked an 11-0 run for the Lady Tigers.
- EIU called a timeout in an attempt to slow TSU down but the Lady Tigers added two more on their next possession.
- The Panthers finally managed to end the scoring drought but the Lady Tigers carried a 50-43 lead into the final period.
- In the fourth, TSU went without a bucket for seven minutes and EIU cut the deficit down to 52-51 with just over two minutes remaining.
- TSU continued to struggle and saw EIU take the lead, 53-52.
- With 1:28 remaining, Taylor Williams ended TSU’s seven minutes scoring drought and tied the game 55-55.
- TSU got a big defensive stop and regained the possession with 20.8 seconds remaining but a crucial turnover led to EIU getting the ball back with 8.2 seconds left.
- The Panthers’ final shot attempt was off the mark and the game went into overtime.
- In the extra period, three free-throws put EIU on top, 60-57.
- With 35 seconds remaining, EIU made a three-pointer to capture a 64-59 advantage.
- The loss snapped TSU’s three-game winning streak over EIU
- TSU was outscored 23-9 in the fourth quarter and overtime period.
- Tia Wooten scored in double-digits for the 14th consecutive game.
Head Coach Jessica Kern
“Definitely a tough loss. But you score that few points in the fourth quarter, you don’t deserve to win. Way too many mental lapses, especially in the fourth. They’re an aggressive team. Their record isn’t indicative of how physical they are as a team. We’ve got to learn, under pressure, how to monopolize and we didn’t do that. This is a tough one. It really is. But they deserved their first (OVC) win.”
- TSU continues its road stint at SIU Edwardsville on Saturday. Game time is set for 2 p.m. in the Vadalabene Center.