|January 04, 2018||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
|Stats at a Glance||JSUW||TSU|
|FG Percentage||.400 (24-60)||.254 (15-59)|
|3P FG Percentage||.367 (11-30)||.182 (2-11)|
|FT Percentage||.593 (16-27)||.828 (24-29)|
MAGRUDER - 4
BEARD - 2
LONG - 1
PEARSON - 1
GRIFFIN - 2
PHELION - 1
PEARSON - 1
Final Box: Tennessee State 56 – Jacksonville State 75
Records: TSU (2-10, 0-3 OVC) – Jacksonville State (9-5, 3-0 OVC)
Venue: Gentry Center
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State University women’s basketball team fell to Jacksonville State, 75-56, Thursday night in the Gentry Center.
Tennessee State (2-10, 0-3 OVC) managed to cut a 20-point deficit down to just seven points but Jacksonville State (9-5, 3-0 OVC) closed the game with a, 13-1, run to pull away down the stretch.
Tia Wooten poured in 28 points and grabbed 11 rebounds for a double-double but she was the only Lady Tiger to reach double-figures.
Jacksonville State had four players score in double-digits led by Gretchen Morrison’s 17 points.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leaders
- Points: Tia Wooten- 28
- Rebounds: Tia Wooten - 11
- Assists: Maxine Beard and Asia Sims - 2
- Steals: Kaliya Griffin and Tia Wooten - 2
- TSU outrebounded JSU, 46-40.
- The Gamecocks held the advantage in bench points, 45-9.
- TSU shot 25.4 percent from the field and 18.2 percent from three-point range.
- The Lady Tigers shot an impressive 82.8 percent from the free-throw line.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Despite only making one field goal in the opening quarter, TSU only trailed 15-10 heading into the second frame.
- TSU’s struggles continued in the second period and the Lady Tigers were outscored 18-6 in the opening five minutes.
- A three-pointer by Andreana Wrister ended TSU’s scoring drought but by then the Lady Tigers were behind, 33-19.
- At the half, the score was 36-22, in favor of the Gamecocks.
- TSU used a timeout after falling behind by 20 with seven minutes left in the third.
- Buckets from Tia Wooten sparked a 10-3 run that cut the deficit down to 47-34.
- Jaden Wrightsell connected in the paint close the gap to 10 points with 7:29 remaining.
- TSU managed to cut it to single digits behind another three-point play from Wooten but JSU answered with a triple on its next possession to move ahead, 65-55.
- Jacksonville State outscored TSU 13-1 in the final 6:37 of the game to pull away.
- TSU shot 1-of-13 from the field in the first quarter, but finished 8-for-8 from the free throw line.
- TSU shot 25 percent from the field in the game (15-of-59).
- TSU finished 83 percent from the line (24-of-29).
- Jacksonville State now leads the series 17-16.
- Tia Wooten collected her third double-double of the season and her career with 28 points and 11 rebounds.
- Wooten entered the contest leading the OVC in scoring with 20.5 points/game.
Head Coach Jessica Kern
"This one was rough. This one was rough because every game there has been a silver lining kind of deal. And you do have those games where you stink up the place. And we stunk up the place today. We had a great practice, we had a great shoot around, and it did not carry over to the game. What will we not accept is a lack of discipline on both ends of the floor and across the board. I'm extremely disappointed in our will and want tonight."
-Overview of the game
-On cutting the lead to 10 in the second half
- TSU continues OVC action on Saturday against Tennessee Tech. Game time is set for 2 p.m. in the Gentry Center.