|November 18, 2017||1st||2nd||3rd||4th||Final|
TSU Lady Tigers
|Stats at a Glance||AAMUWBB||TSU|
|FG Percentage||.500 (30-60)||.377 (20-53)|
|3P FG Percentage||.286 (6-21)||.214 (3-14)|
|FT Percentage||.579 (11-19)||.696 (32-46)|
Ashlyn Dotson - 13
Tierra Dark - 5
Final Score: Tennessee State – 75 Alabama A&M - 77
Records: TSU (0-2) Alabama A&M (2-1)
Venue: Gentry Center
Location: Nashville, Tenn.
NASHVILLE --- The Tennessee State women’s basketball team overcame a 23-point deficit but ultimately fell to Alabama A&M, 77-75, on a last second shot in the home opener.
Tia Wooten led TSU (0-2) with 24 points while Taylor Roberts came off the bench to post 18 points and nine rebounds. Alabama A&M had two players to reach double-digits.
TSU outscored Alabama A&M (2-1) in every quarter, except the second stanza in which the visitors had a decisive 30-11 showing. The Lady Tigers managed to get back into the game but were not able to complete the comeback.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After trailing early, TSU took a 17-16 lead just before the opening quarter ended. Alabama A&M opened the second period with a 7-0 run and outscored TSU 30-11 to carry a 46-28 advantage into halftime.
- TSU fell behind by as many as 23 points before using a spurt to cut the deficit down to 14. Tia Wooten nailed a triple just before the third quarter ended to pull TSU within nine.
- The Lady Tigers continued to fight and managed to cut the deficit down to 75-70 with 1:45 remaining.
- TSU was trailing 75-72 when an old fashioned three-point play by Wooten tied the game with 25 seconds remaining.
- On the next possession, AAMU scored with .9 seconds remaining to go ahead. TSU was not able to get off a final shot attempt.
INSIDE THE NUMBERS
- TSU Leader – Points: Tia Wooten - 24
- TSU Leader – Rebounds: Taylor Roberts – 9
- TSU Leader – Assists: Asia Sims - 2
- TSU Leader – Steals: Tia Wooten - 2
Head Coach Jessica Kern
“In Memphis we had a bad second quarter. We had a bad second quarter here. We need to put four together.
Tia Wooten had a great game and Taylor Roberts has been consistent for us. People are getting their points here and there. We are doing the right stuff; we just need to put it all together.”
- On facing adversity
“You go into every season not knowing what to expect. My past teams, come post season, I had to get them ready for situations. The blessing with this is we have had all our situations early. We are just working on combinations now.”
- Alabama A&M won the opening tip
- Lady Tigers are now 1-4 versus Alabama A&M
- Jessica Kern is 2-1 versus the Bulldogs; defeating AAMU twice with Mississippi Valley State during the 2016-17 season
- Tia Wooten sank a three-pointer from just inside half court at the buzzer to end the third
- It marked the first points for Wooten since scoring nine points in the first period
- The Redshirt-junior scored in double-digits for the ninth time in her career (24)
- Freshman Taylor Roberts scored a new career high with 18 points
- Roberts has gone for double-digit points (18) in the first two games of her career
- Tennessee State will continue its home stand on Wednesday with a noon match-up against Ball State the day before Thanksgiving.