January 07, 20171st2nd3rd4th1OT Final
UT Martin8172918880
Tennessee State Lady Tigers161511301385
Stats at a GlanceUTMWBBTSU
FG Percentage.400 (26-65) .431 (31-72)
3P FG Percentage.400 (12-30) .313 (5-16)
FT Percentage.889 (16-18) .692 (18-26)
Offensive Rebounds1119
Defensive Rebounds2528
Total Rebounds3647
Bench Points726
PointsSPRAY - 29
ReboundsEUBANK - 9
AssistsROBERTSON - 7
BlocksEUBANK - 2
Lady Tigers Come Back to Defeat Skyhawks, 85-80, in Overtime
Saturday, January 7, 2017
Lady Tigers Come Back to Defeat Skyhawks, 85-80, in Overtime
Tia Wooten scored a career-high 21 points vs UT Martin


NASHVILLE --- After trailing by double-digits, the Tennessee State University women’s basketball team fought back to defeat UT Martin, 85-80, in overtime Saturday night in the Gentry Center.

TSU (6-7, 1-2 OVC) trailed by as many 14 points heading into the fourth quarter before outscoring UTM (4-13, 1-3 OVC) 30-18 in the final frame. The Lady Tigers also outscored the Skyhawks 13-8 in the extra period to claim the victory.

Tia Wooten led TSU with a career-high 21 points while I’mani Davis and Kaliya Griffin each tallied 20 points. Davis’ 20-point performance lifted her to her 1,000th career point. Jayda Johnson finished the game with a double-double of 14 points and 13 rebounds.

UTM had four players in double-digits led by Kendall Spray’s 29 points. Myah Taylor (13), Emanye Robertson (12) and Ansley Eubank also notched double-figures for the visitors.

Five quick points by UT Martin got the game started but Tennessee State maintained its composure and pulled even a few plays later. The score was a close, 8-7, in favor of UT Martin and both teams were shooting 43 percent from field at the first media timeout 

Out of the break, however, TSU took control. The home team fired off nine unanswered points to capture the lead, 16-8. The Lady Tiger defense held the Skyhawks scoreless for the last seven and a half minutes of the quarter.

A steal followed by an old fashioned three-point play by Diamond Beatty opened the second frame and gave TSU a double-digit advantage.

The Lady Tigers were up, 29-18, when the Skyhawks, used a 7-2 run to cut TSU’s lead down to 31-25 just before the half.

The visiting team did not waste time erasing the deficit in the second half and pulled to within one shortly before taking the lead.

TSU moved back on top, 39-37, when Tia Wooten connected in the paint, got fouled then made the ensuing free-throw.

The Lady Tigers then suffered through a scoring drought that saw them fall behind, 45-39. At the 1:02 mark, the Skyhawks extended their advantage to, 50-40 before carrying a 54-42 edge into the final stanza. The Lady Tigers were outscored, 29-11, in the third quarter and committed nine turnovers.

In the fourth frame, the Lady Tigers came out with a sense of urgency and used timely buckets and defensive pressure to pull within five with just two minutes ticked off the clock.

A break-away lay-up by Tia Wooten closed the gap to three points, 57-54 and forced a UTM timeout.

With 4:59 left to play, a three-point bomb from the top of the key by Kaliya Griffin made the score, 61-59, in favor of the home team.

In a fiercely contested back-and-forth battle, the score was knotted 65-65 with 2:06 on the clock.

With the shot clock winding down and TSU trailing, 68-67, Kaliya Griffin drained a three-pointer to put TSU on top, 69-68 with 46.3 seconds remaining.

On the next possession, UTM’s two shot attempts were off the mark and were forced to foul.

Jayda Johnson stepped up to make two clutch free-throws but the Skyhawks’ Kendall Spray answered with a three-pointer on the next possession. She was also fouled on the attempt and made the free-throw to put UTM up, 72-71, with 21.7 seconds remaining.

On the next play, Kaliya Griffin was fouled attempting to go the basket and made one of two to tie the game 72-72. UTM missed its final two shot attempts and the game went into overtime.

In the extra period, TSU took advantage of consecutive turnovers by UTM and I’mani Davis scored on back-to-back layups. TSU managed to build a 78-72 lead but UTM clawed back to within three.

With 27.9 seconds remaining, TSU was up, 82-80, and UTM was once again forced to foul. This time Kaliya Griffin made both to give TSU an 84-80 edge with 24.6 on the clock.

TSU got a crucial defensive stop on the next trip down the floor then sealed the win with another made free-throw.

Both teams shot at least 40 percent from the field and committed 28 turnovers in the contest. TSU held the advantage in points scored in the paint, 50-18, second chance points, 21-6, and bench points, 26-7.

Tennessee State returns to action on Wednesday, Jan.11 at home versus Morehead State. Game time is set for 6 p.m. in the Gentry Center.