Lady Tigers defeat Murray State on the road
Friday, January 7, 2011

Murray, Ky. --- The Tennessee State University women's basketball team picked up a, 60-57, road win over Murray State Thursday night at the CFSB Center.

Tennessee State (5-9, 2-3 OVC) and Murray State (4-10, 0-4 OVC) battled the whole night as the game wasn't decided until the final seconds of the contest.

TSU had three players post double-digits in scoring led by freshman Tayla Foster's 16 points (six rebounds). Senior Meredith Stafford tallied 11 points while freshman Alana Morris recorded 10 points and five rebounds. Sophomore Simone Hopes led the Lady Tigers with seven rebounds.

Kayla Lowe recorded a double-double for Murray State with 12 points and 10 rebounds while Tessa Elkins added 11.

Tennessee State scored the first points of the game and went ahead 13-7 following a bucket from Alana Morris. Nearly five minutes later Murray State tied the game 17-17 before taking the lead on the next possession.

Thanks to a steal by Jasmin Shuler, Ashley Tate scored on a break-away lay-up to knot the score at 19-all with 5:23 on the clock. During the final minutes of the half, both teams traded buckets before Murray State went into the locker room with a, 25-23, lead.

In the second half, the teams played to a, 32-32, deadlock by the first media timeout. The tightly contested battle would remain close the rest of the game.  

With 8:13 left on the clock, Destiney Gaston gave TSU a 43-42 lead with an old fashioned 3-point play. MSU answered right back with a triple from Mariah Robinson before another Murray State three-pointer put the Racers on top 48-44 with 7:20 left.

After Kim Haynes nailed a jumper and Tayla Foster hit a free-throw, Alana Morris went the length of the court to put the Lady Tigers on top, 49-48 (4:13).

TSU managed to grab a 55-50 lead with 1:37 left in the game before MSU closed to within three on a bucket from Tessa Elkins. After Tayla Foster made one-of-two free-throws, Tennessee State's lead was 56-52. The Racers, however, answered with two free-throws to pull back to within two (54-52).

With 48 seconds on the clock, Meredith Stafford drove to the basket and finished to make the score, 58-54, in favor of the Lady Tigers. On the next play, Murray State cut the deficit down to just one point, 58-57, after Kayla Lowe buried a triple.

With the Lady Tigers holding on to a slight lead, Tayla Foster came away with a huge offensive rebound and scored the put back just before the shot clock expired. Foster's shot put the Lady Tigers on top, 60-57, with only eight seconds remaining in the game.

On Murray State's final trip down the floor, both of the Racers' three-point shot attempts were off the mark and Tennessee State escaped with the win.

Tennessee State shot 40.4 percent  (23-of-57) from the field and 72.2 percent  (13-of-18) from the charity stripe. Murray State knocked down 32.8 percent (22-of-67) of its shots and finished with a 66.7 shooting percentage from the free-throw line.

TSU only committed three second-half turnovers, finishing the game with 14 miscues.

Tennessee State returns to action on Saturday, Jan.8, at UT Martin. Game time is slated for 4 p.m. at Skyhawk Arena.