WBB goes down to the wire in double OT loss to EKU
Sunday, January 30, 2011

Richmond, Ky. --- The Lady Tigers posted more than 80 points for the second straight game but could not come away with a win Thursday night in a, 91-86, double-overtime loss to Eastern Kentucky in McBrayer Arena.  

Tennessee State (5-16, 2-9 OVC) had three players to score in double-digits led by Tayla Foster (20 points, 9 rebounds) and Kim Haynes (20 points, eight rebounds). Meredith Stafford also nearly recorded a double-double with 19 points and nine boards while Simone Hopes finished the game with a team-high 10 rebounds and nine points.

Brittany Coles led Eastern Kentucky (6-14, 3-8 OVC) in scoring with 26 points while Marie Carpenter added 25. Alex Jones finished with 17 points and 15 rebounds for a double-double while Shakeyia Colyer added 13.

The Lady Tigers, led 12-6, at one point in the first half but the Lady Colonels used a run to knot the score at 14 near the halfway mark.

Back-to-back three-pointers from Kim Haynes put TSU back on top, 20-14, before a three-point play from Alex Jones brought EKU to within two, 20-18, with 6:15 left in the half.

The score was, 27-21, in favor of Tennessee State when Eastern Kentucky nailed a three-pointer to make the half time score, 27-24.

The Lady Tigers jumped out the gate with a 9-0 run in the opening moments of the second half to capture a 35-24 lead. EKU cut the deficit down to five points behind a triple from Marie Carpenter but Kesi Hess answered right back with a three-point bomb to put TSU back up, 41-33.

The Lady Colonels, however, fired off seven straight points to close within one, 41-40. A bucket from Meredith Stafford made TSU's lead, 43-40, before another triple from Marie Carpenter made the score 43-all. (10:41).

From there it was a fiercely contested battle that stayed close the rest of the game.

Down the stretch, EKU managed to build a, 68-64, lead with 29.2 seconds left on the clock before consecutive buckets from Kim Haynes and Meredith Stafford tied the game, 68-68 with only 11 seconds remaining. EKU's final shot attempt was off the mark as the game went into overtime.

In overtime, TSU was trailing, 75-73, when Jasmine Brimm drove to the basket and scored with only seven seconds on the clock. She was also fouled on the play but missed the ensuing free-throw. EKU's final attempt hit off the side of the goal, forcing double-overtime.

Eastern Kentucky used eight unanswered points to jump out to an 83-75 lead in the second overtime. TSU fell behind by double-digits (85-75) but the Lady Tigers did not give up and continued to fight. TSU clawed back to within two points (85-83) with 31 seconds left behind a bucket from Tayla Foster.

Foster was also fouled but missed the free-throw. Moments later, EKU hit two free-throws to go up, 87-83. On TSU's trip down the floor, the Lady Tigers committed a costly turnover with about 14 seconds left on the clock.

TSU was forced to foul and EKU knocked down two free-throws to ice the game. A couple more freebies from the Lady Colonels made the final score, 91-86.

Tennessee State shot 43.5 percent from the field including, 43.5 percent from three-point range. The Lady Tigers, however, shot a dismal 44.4 percent (8-of-18) from the free-throw line.

Eastern Kentucky finished the game shooting 40.6 percent from the field and 52.4 percent from long range. The Lady Colonels knocked down 24-of-44 free-throw attempts (54.5 percent).

TSU returns to action on Thursday, Feb. 3 with a home game against Murray State. Game time is slated for 5:15 p.m. in the Gentry Center.